Thread: Why not just burn AVI directly to DVD ? No mpeg2 conversion.

Default Why not just burn AVI directly to DVD ? No mpeg2 conversion.

My head is boggled by this. Every DVD burning program I have does it. Just open the program, open AVI file and start burning DVD. I would imagine this means the burning program automatically converts it to mpeg2 while burning. If anyone has a reason why I should first convert to mpeg2 before burning please tell me. It seems unnecessary, and I'm editing a full quality full feature movie and burning it this way.The DVD burning programs I use are free too. Please unboggle my mind here.

Blog Entries

Yes, your DVD authoring software is encoding to DVD compliant MPEG2. The reason people convert outside of authoring software is due to percieved quality gains: not all MPEG2 encoders are created equal. This way may also provide more encoding options.

If you are happy with the quality of you DVD, no change is required for you and this is the way to go (i.e importing your AVI and exporting to DVD in one application).

Default Burn AVI directly to DVD

Plus.....if you just burned AVI files to a DVD, you'd only get about 20 minutes. Takes about 1Gb for every 5 minutes. And there's an 'etiquette' to the way the encoded video files are layed out on a DVD to make it readable.

Hmm. I wonder if I captured the mini dv source right from camera (firewire) and converted straight to mpeg2 instead of avi. But I'm sure the avi is uncompressed anyway. Maybe it's something that wouldn't be percievable until shown on the big screen, if it got that far.

Default Re: Burn AVI directly to DVD

Quote Originally Posted by tone33
    Plus.....if you just burned AVI files to a DVD, you'd only get about 20 minutes. Takes about 1Gb for every 5 minutes.
    I don't think this was what he meant. He was talking about the burning app converting to MPEG2 on-the-fly rather than building a data disk of the AVI files themselves.