Thread: Dick Ikon and the Petulant Princess

Default Dick Ikon and the Petulant Princess

This one was made for QuestFest. Some of the greescreen work is iffy but on the whole I think it works. Theres an HD version on YT if you want to see it in more detail.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzUY4gnhVc]YouTube - Dick Ikon and the Petulant Princess[/ame]

I loved it.

Blog Entries

Fantastic. I thought at first you'd somehow managed to inject yourselves into a computer game and then I read your blog. That software must be some beast. How did you get into this? I can't imagine you just thought you fancied giving it a go and blew a few thousand of the software to see how you liked it.

I've watched it a couple of times and on both occasions I got involved enough to forget to look out for any less than perfect green screen work. So I'll just have to take your word for it that it was dodgy in places.

On first view, not knowing what to expect, the turn from reality to the CGI cellar was a real "WOW" moment for me.

Against this background of a five star rating from me I'd make a few suggetsions as to where there is room for improvement.

If the intended audience is more than your family (as it is) your acting needs to improve, or get another actor. Yes this is picky, but it stands out as a weak point because the rest of the work is SO good.

The reading of the story in the opening scene was too fast - it felt rushed (in fact much like when I read to my little girl when I'm trying to rush a story as there's something on TV I want to watch). The scene also suffers from being one long shot from the same angle.

In fact this is probably the biggest single problem with the film - especially if you do not have a captive audience. On the internet, unless there's something really special going on, most viewers will not view a scene which lasts for 50 seconds of the same shot, and so you may well have lost a large proportion of viewers before any of the good stuff happens.

My other criticism would be the sound. You've captured good, clear, high quality audio. There are some great sound effects and your choice and use of music is fine. For much of the movie Dick and Coppertop are in underground cellars and t 'd have liked some background atmosphere sound (dripping, creaking) - just a touch - to complement that.

More importantly, their voices needed echo/reverb to enhance the impression of being among tunnels.

Does any of this matter? Not really, it's a great little film and I can only begin to imagine the time, effort and sskill that went into making it. Well done.

Oh yes! The catching of the hat - was that done in reverse?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Fantastic. I thought at first you'd somehow managed to inject yourselves into a computer game and then I read your blog. That software must be some beast. How did you get into this? I can't imagine you just thought you fancied giving it a go and blew a few thousand of the software to see how you liked it.
    That's kind of what happened. I started playing with poser and liked that but could not use poser to work with films, so as I wanted to make CG films I needed something better. I tried various demos and came up with using Softimage and Mudbox.

I've watched it a couple of times and on both occasions I got involved enough to forget to look out for any less than perfect green screen work. So I'll just have to take your word for it that it was dodgy in places.
    Thankyo for taking the time, and I'm chuffed you thought it was worth a second look.

On first view, not knowing what to expect, the turn from reality to the CGI cellar was a real "WOW" moment for me.

Against this background of a five star rating from me I'd make a few suggetsions as to where there is room for improvement.
    Always looking for suggestions

If the intended audience is more than your family (as it is) your acting needs to improve, or get another actor. Yes this is picky, but it stands out as a weak point because the rest of the work is SO good.
    Completely agree. It was pretty much everyone's first time in front of a camera, add to that the strangeness of working in an empty room with no props and we were just way out of our depth. Hopwfully with time we'll all get better that this.

The reading of the story in the opening scene was too fast - it felt rushed (in fact much like when I read to my little girl when I'm trying to rush a story as there's something on TV I want to watch). The scene also suffers from being one long shot from the same angle.
    Yup. The festival we made it for has a strict 6min time limit, so the start and end were compressed in editing to fit it all in

In fact this is probably the biggest single problem with the film - especially if you do not have a captive audience. On the internet, unless there's something really special going on, most viewers will not view a scene which lasts for 50 seconds of the same shot, and so you may well have lost a large proportion of viewers before any of the good stuff happens.
    Again, completely agree. It was the first time we used the camera so we stuck to simple shots so we could match everything up easily.

My other criticism would be the sound. You've captured good, clear, high quality audio. There are some great sound effects and your choice and use of music is fine. For much of the movie Dick and Coppertop are in underground cellars and t 'd have liked some background atmosphere sound (dripping, creaking) - just a touch - to complement that.

More importantly, their voices needed echo/reverb to enhance the impression of being among tunnels.
    Yup.

Does any of this matter? Not really, it's a great little film and I can only begin to imagine the time, effort and sskill that went into making it. Well done.

Oh yes! The catching of the hat - was that done in reverse?
    Actually it wasnt, We just did about 20 takes with the camera left running until I did the catch and put it on right. The blooper for that are pretty funny

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great comment, your comments are really appreciated.

Blog Entries

(re catching the hat)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Actually it wasnt, We just did about 20 takes with the camera left running until I did the catch and put it on right.
    Well, that's what my wife reckoned. Have to let her win sometimes, I suppose. (Actually, diplomatically, it's best to let her win every time).

Quote Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great comment, your comments are really appreciated.
    No worries, I enjoy doing it when someone has put such obvious effort into a film and it comes off.
    Tim

First let me congratulate you on a brilliantly made little film.
    These are my personal thoughts which I think would have improved it .

1) I agree with Tim the the first part of the story reading should have been much slower.

2) The lighting in the bedroom scene would have been more atmospheric if it was pooled around the little girl.,Maybe the reader being in partial silhouette.

3) The wee girl did very well but her dialogue would have been enhanced if you had taken close up shots of her saying her lines intercut with one or two reaction shots. This way her voice could have been edited down to the necessary narrative.

4) At 3.29 an extra shot looking down on the boy into the blackness might have helped a little.

5) At 3.51 a temporary pause before movement could be clipped back for 15 frames or so.

6) The audio although nicely recorded could have had a little reverb (echo) in the chamber shots.

This little epic is almost flawless in its production and is the best I've seen in a long time. Sorry If the above is somewhat nit picking, just thought I would put my six penneth in, for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    First let me congratulate you on a brilliantly made little film.
    These are my personal thoughts which I think would have improved it .

1) I agree with Tim the the first part of the story reading should have been much slower.

2) The lighting in the bedroom scene would have been more atmospheric if it was pooled around the little girl.,Maybe the reader being in partial silhouette.

3) The wee girl did very well but her dialogue would have been enhanced if you had taken close up shots of her saying her lines intercut with one or two reaction shots. This way her voice could have been edited down to the necessary narrative.

4) At 3.29 an extra shot looking down on the boy into the blackness might have helped a little.

5) At 3.51 a temporary pause before movement could be clipped back for 15 frames or so.

6) The audio although nicely recorded could have had a little reverb (echo) in the chamber shots.

This little epic is almost flawless in its production and is the best I've seen in a long time. Sorry If the above is somewhat nit picking, just thought I would put my six penneth in, for what its worth.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it and appreciate the comments and time you spent on them. We were hard againt the 6 minute time limit so we had to cut quite a lot from the initial footage. We tried to do some reverses for the bedroom scene, but it made Maria so nervous that she could barley speak

Once again, thank you for you generous comments.

Yes I Know exactly what you mean. I could never get my children to perform on tap whem they were youngsters.
    Ohhhh what do thet say. Keep off kids and animals.
    I chose news and current affairs...far easier.