Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Diabolus Domi

  1. #1

    Default Diabolus Domi

    This is a film that was made for MonsterFest. I hope you enjoy it.

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4MOpVgCVXM]YouTube - Diabolus Domi[/ame]

  2. #2

    Default

    Ok so the acting could have been better but I still like the family industry you've created. It's nice to see something with a bit of narrative for a change.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    OK So a reverse this time. With Dick Ikon you put humans in a CGI world and here you've put a CGI character into a human world.

    Whilst this is as good an example as I've ever seen from amateur filmmakers, it wasn't as convincing for me as the other way around. I guess this is because we live in the real world and have fixed ideas of exactly how things should move and interact with their environment. Te character worked OK on its own - it was really detailed and the way limbs moved in relation to each other were "realistic", but in terms of moving around the house it wasn't quite right for me - in particular I'm thinking of when he moves across the landing towards Maria.

    Other than that, I liked the colour grading used for the twilight shots outside at the beginning.

    It started with a good selection of shots from different angles BUTI didn't like the wide shots of Maria running/skipping arIt started with ound the tree. There wasn't enough head room with the result that in many shots the top of her head was chopped off.

    Music and sound were sound!

    I look forward to seeing more of your material.
    Tim

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    OK So a reverse this time. With Dick Ikon you put humans in a CGI world and here you've put a CGI character into a human world.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

    Whilst this is as good an example as I've ever seen from amateur filmmakers, it wasn't as convincing for me as the other way around. I guess this is because we live in the real world and have fixed ideas of exactly how things should move and interact with their environment. Te character worked OK on its own - it was really detailed and the way limbs moved in relation to each other were "realistic", but in terms of moving around the house it wasn't quite right for me - in particular I'm thinking of when he moves across the landing towards Maria.

    That was one of the hardest parts and I didn't get it right, but it was my first try so I learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't work. The next time I have a good idea of how to do it right.


    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Other than that, I liked the colour grading used for the twilight shots outside at the beginning.
    Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It started with a good selection of shots from different angles BUTI didn't like the wide shots of Maria running/skipping around the tree. There wasn't enough head room with the result that in many shots the top of her head was chopped off.
    Do you know, I never noticed that before, oops.


    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Music and sound were sound!

    I look forward to seeing more of your material.


    Thanks. I find out on Saturday what the next festival theme is and then the ball will start rolling along. its 3 months of frenetic action trying to fit it all in, but it is worth it.

    Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    First video in a while I've watched through. Loved it.

    As Tim suggested, it's harder to fit CGI into the real world than vice versa. However, even if the CGI had been seemless, I think there greater suspense would have been created if we didn't see the "monster". The viewer's imagination - or expectation - would have created a muc more sinister monster. You're choice of shots already fits neatly into the suspense build up, and I feel that just the briefest glimpes and shadows would have made this into something different. I was also expecting a twist at the end. Perhaps the lad's arm to be in monster CGI? A

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    First video in a while I've watched through. Loved it.

    As Tim suggested, it's harder to fit CGI into the real world than vice versa. However, even if the CGI had been seemless, I think there greater suspense would have been created if we didn't see the "monster". The viewer's imagination - or expectation - would have created a muc more sinister monster. You're choice of shots already fits neatly into the suspense build up, and I feel that just the briefest glimpes and shadows would have made this into something different. I was also expecting a twist at the end. Perhaps the lad's arm to be in monster CGI? A
    Hi Marc,
    I'm really glad you liked it. In the end so much went wrong that I cut a lot of broken footage out of the film and abandoned some of the CG that would have given a different feel. I like your suggestion for the twist at the end, wish I'd thought of that

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cumbria, Near the Lake district
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Mighty impressive FX (Haven't a clue how its done) Either that or maybe you have a very thin lodger.

    1) Loved the opening titles
    2)Bad composition of girl skipping around tree
    3)Great suspense as Sam goes for torch
    4)Extremely poor face reaction from Sam at 2.45. Music should have suddenly climaxed at 2.45 to add shock impact this was helped and disguised to some extent by the electronic sound effect on Sam's face.
    5) Acting a little wooden.
    6) Too many Bang's in the credits.

    Very well done and all a very enjoyable watch.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    870

    Default

    I thought it was a really good effort this one and I have just viewed your previous effort. Everyone is right when they comment that humans in the game world are convincing but not the other way around. Still it does not really matter as its still fun to play with. I thought the acting in the latest effort was an improvement.

    I look forward to seeing the next installment. Care to share what your using to create the illusion?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I thought it was a really good effort this one and I have just viewed your previous effort. Everyone is right when they comment that humans in the game world are convincing but not the other way around. Still it does not really matter as its still fun to play with. I thought the acting in the latest effort was an improvement.

    I look forward to seeing the next installment. Care to share what your using to create the illusion?
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Briefly:
    The creature was created in a 3D package called Mudbox, and then it was animated in a CG package called Softimage. After the animation was complete and the camera positions locked down so that the real camera and the 3D camera matched, the creature was rendered out frame by frame.

    Finally the frames were composited into the real footage using AfterEffects.

    You can see more about it here:
    Freekstorm VFX Blog

    Thanks for watching. Its appreciated.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Well I take my hat off to you then as I thought you had grabbed it from a game. The reason I asked how you had done it was that the quality was so high. To find that you created it yourself is even more impressive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •