Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why green screen?

Default Why green screen?

Good day

I'm use blue screen and want understand why in video production usually use green screen for backdrop ?

Who know anything about this?

What plugin you are using for chromakeying?

i'm wrote own plugin for chromakeying...

I'm not an expert but I think the answer to your question is it could be any colour so long as it does not conflict with whats in front of it. You would not use a green screen if you were filming a green vase. I think some colours work better than others for example if you used a blue screen I have heard that this may cause problems when keying out if the actor has blond hair.

I'm sure there is some science around this subject but I don't know what that is. Possibly cooler colours (Blue, Green) may work better than Hot colours (Red, Orange).

I hope someone who knows more can let us know the real science.

I'm no expert, but I think green screening worked better on analogue footage and blue works better on digital.
    Though as mid blue says, just don't conflict with the talents mode of dress.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

These considerations also came into my head. But the fact is that the green screen use 5 times more (searches count in google).

And in Hollywood, always use a green screen.

So I wondered ... Why such a big difference?

I think people love the jeans, and of course for jeans better green screen ...

joke
    Last edited by nprice; 11-19-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries

I have some vague recollection that it's something to do with the Green Channel being more sensitive/less sensitive than Red or Blue either in the sensors or somewhere else in the digital chain. I'm sure someone will come along soon and calrify (or tell me I'm spouting misinformation)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I have some vague recollection that it's something to do with the Green Channel being more sensitive/less sensitive than Red or Blue either in the sensors or somewhere else in the digital chain. I'm sure someone will come along soon and calrify (or tell me I'm spouting misinformation)
    I'm guessing you're right Tim, especially with a single sensor camera where a bayer pattern is used. They have twice as many Green photosites as they do Red or Blue and are therefore more sensitive to the green channel!

Green is fine until you find your talent has green in their eyes and end up with holes in their head!!

That may be true about the CCD's etc. but nprice has a point about Hollywood productions who mostly shoot on film don't they.

The main reason for using green in digital video work is that the common digital video compression algorithms throw away vast amounts of blue color information but retain a lot of green information.

It's crucial that the background screen be as far from the color of your subject as is feasible. Depnding on the subject, blue can be better than green. Or even red. For non-human objects, red is sometimes (though not often) used. People's skin and hair colors have a lot of red.

See "Keying introduction and resources".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
    After Effects Help and Support
    Premiere Pro Help and Support
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Kopriva View Post
    The main reason for using green in digital video work is that the common digital video compression algorithms throw away vast amounts of blue color information but retain a lot of green information.

It's crucial that the background screen be as far from the color of your subject as is feasible. Depnding on the subject, blue can be better than green. Or even red. For non-human objects, red is sometimes (though not often) used. People's skin and hair colors have a lot of red.

See "Keying introduction and resources".

Thank You Todd for this link! Very interesting!

Blog Entries

In motion picture film it used to be bluescreen because the top layer of the film was sensitive to blue and provided the sharpest image. Then, in the 80s greenscreen came in but it wasn't until the 90s that green became the colour of choice.

Some motion picture film was/is notably insensitive to green and the screens had to be lit to outrageously high levels. I've heard all sorts of explanations for the use of green over the years but Todd's post makes the most sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast