Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with sizing split screen

1. Default Problems with sizing split screen

I've been having a few problems with split screens:

When I try and apply a split screen effect I'm having two problems. Firstly, I go to the plan/crop and pull the dialogue box out to make it smaller. This is successful in making it smaller horizontally , but vertically from top to bottom, it actually makes it too small. This leaves black showing in the video, which should be full. Iíve tried adjusting it, but if I try and make the length bigger, it wonít keep the vertical length. Any ideas how to fix this problem? For example - are there specific settings that I can input which do this? The second problem I have is that when I do a split screen, feathering doesnít always cover up the fact that itís a split screen (due to different backgrounds.) Is there any other way this can be done, or does your source material have to always be similar (similar/same background so it blends?)

Thank you

The Nightingale

2. Default

click on the pan/crop icon...look to the left of the new window and hover your mouse until you see the two options "lock aspect ratio" and "size about centre" click them both..you will now be able to resize your picture/video/text with out hassle.

for the split screen..you could over ap the two videos slightly and use the feather option to try to cover it up...or put a colour background behind the split screen that is a colour inbetween the two colours of the back ground etc etc.

Blog Entries

What Dusty says is correct and will result in an image in the middle of your frame. You will need to use TRACK MOTION to position this where you want within the resulting image.

EDIT
    You could also investigate the "Masks" facility within pan and crop. In the P&C dialog, tick the box on the dialog timeline labelled mask. You can then draw around the bit of the bideo that you want to mask in/out.

I don't really understand your second point. If the shots are against different backgrounds what do you WANT it to show where they join? For example if we have a shot left of me standing in a green room and you right standing in a blue room, how do you want to combine those images?
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-18-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Tim

4. Default

Thanks - I've followed the advice in here and unfortunately I'm still having trouble. Thought I'd do a few screen grabs - it might help you see what I'm doing wrong.

The first is of the first video that I'm split screening:

And my pan/crop settings for it:

The issue, as you may be able to see, is that despite trying the methods suggested, the video clip won't reach the top. I do render in widescreen anyway, but this looks like it isn't even widescreen setting to be honest. Furthermore, when you split the second video, is there anyway of splitting the screen exactly, rather than just guesstimating where the split should be?

Sorry this seems so confusing. I do know how to mask, yes, and I use that sometimes, but I wanted to know this method in case I ever need it.

Blog Entries

I agree this isn't always intuitive.

If you want the whole height of an image but say the left half only do the following:
    (Just to be tidy start with a new project)With your cip on the timeline open an event Pan and Crop window
    MOVE (don't resize) the F box to the LEFT, say halfway.

This will result in the LEFT half of the image only appearing on the RIGHT half of the display.
    If you look back at the Pan and Crop window, it is now clear that this is what it is showing - the "F" box represents the "display" and only the LEFT half of the event is displayed within it.

However, you most likely want this to appear in the LEFT half of the display rather than the right half.

SImple: Open track motion for the track on which your event exists.
    Now drag the blue box with the circle in it to the LEFT. Your image will move left, but ONLY the part of the image that was within the "F" box in the Pan and Crop window.

Let's look at it like this:
    You have a photo stick onto a large background (let's make it red) on your desk and you have a piece of cardboard with a hole in it exactly the same size and shape as the photo. This is your "mask"

Place the cardboard mask over the photo and move it around so that only the left half of the photo shows (along with a similar amount of red)
    Cut the photo & red background using the mask hole as a template. Discard the rest of the red background.
    What you are left with is the left half of the photo with a similar sized red area to the left of it.
    This is what you achieved with the Pan and Crop.

Now put your cardboard "mask" over the cropped photo/red background and move it to the left so that only the photo (and none of the red) shows. This is what you're doing with track motion.

Things get somewhat more complicated if you don't preserve the aspect ratio. The thing to get into your mind here is that whatever "shape" you end up with, it will be sized such that the longer aspect is made equal to that aspect in the window. That's really difficult to word so examples are better.,,,

If you create an "F" box which is say twice the width of the image (but remains full height), the cropped image will be scaled such that whole width of the "F" box will fit into the display so what you'll actually see is your original image will appear 1/2 the original width in the display and 1/2 the original height (1/4 the original area) with black around it. It gets very confusing once one dimension is larger than the original image and the other is smaller.

As for your question about precision - you most certainly CAN make these changes with pixel accuracy. To take the example I started with os that EXACTLY the left half of the imahe fills EXACTLY the left half of the screen:
    (Measurements assume you're using PAL DV)
    In the P&C window - instead of dragging the "F" box to the left, change the value of "X Center" (under position) to zero. In PAL the dimensions are 720 x 576 so at the centre of the screen X = 720/2 =360 and Y = 576/2 = 288. By setting the X Centre to zero we are mobing the centre of the "F" box 360 pixels (or exactly half a screen) LEFT.

In the track motion windows, we now need to move the image which sits upon the track exactly 360 pixels to the left. The X Position of the track when it is dead centre is "0" so to move it left we need to change this value to -360.

Yes, it's complicated, but it is VERY flexible. Invest time in this and it'll pay off in the long run.

Hope this helps.
    Tim

6. Default

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that - it worked! The only minor problem I've found is that sometimes when I try and split a screen where there's a close up of two people's faces, the faces themselves are too big and it ends up cutting off a little hair etc. I'm assuming this is normal? Something has always got to give when you split a screen i.e you can't always get everything into the shot if you want to maintain the height. I assume in this situation it might be better to use a mask for more flexibility?

r.e. this:

I don't really understand your second point. If the shots are against different backgrounds what do you WANT it to show where they join? For example if we have a shot left of me standing in a green room and you right standing in a blue room, how do you want to combine those images?
    Well, what I mean is when you combine two clips together, even if you overlay them a little, there's often still a very obvious line down the middle. You can feather, but that doesn't always get rid of it and can sometimes make it look worse depending on the clip. I suppose the look I'm wanting is the illusion that the clips are on the same screen or truly next to eachother, which is an impossible effect to achieve if you have a line down the middle.

Blog Entries

Excellent - we're getting there (sorry my explanations are so long winded, but I've never been one to use three words where a novel will do)
    If I understand your first point correctly, it's a of getting the original shot framed exactly correctly for the technique - alternatively masking gives you much more flexibility.
    As for your second question, I'm assuming you're trying for this sort of effect - shot of a sofa, you sitting on left half and you sitting onright half. In oreder to pull this off, so long as the camera does not move a fraction AND so long as the lighting is identical, you should be able to do this even without a feather.
    Tim

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Excellent - we're getting there (sorry my explanations are so long winded, but I've never been one to use three words where a novel will do)
    If I understand your first point correctly, it's a of getting the original shot framed exactly correctly for the technique - alternatively masking gives you much more flexibility.
    As for your second question, I'm assuming you're trying for this sort of effect - shot of a sofa, you sitting on left half and you sitting onright half. In oreder to pull this off, so long as the camera does not move a fraction AND so long as the lighting is identical, you should be able to do this even without a feather.
    Hi - sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you regarding what I meant. I've been quite busy. The first point is that basically if you have a videos that is a closeup like this:

And then you splitscreen it with another vid or picture of the same size you get this:

No matter how much I've tried to manipulate it with the pan/crop, part of the face, head or hair gets cut off. It doesn't look too bad, but I was wondering whether there's any other way of displaying the splitscreen whilst showing more or all of the video/pic - or are there simply natural limitations? Thus would be better to mask in a situation where I have closeups like this so I can move them around into the best position?

The second point is that in the picture above, with the splitscreen, you can see a clear line where it has been split - so it doesn't give the illusion that the two videos are literally next to eachother. I have tried feathering the top video to blend, but it simply gives the top video a darker effect, whilst not changing the way the splitscreen looks. Thus:

So yes, I was wondering whether there is any way to truly blend them. Or is masking the way to go once again?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by The Nightingale; 11-29-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Drop a border on both of them, use blur, you will find this affects around the FRAME but not the image.
    Look on the left at the bottom of the filter (time line /key frames) there what loos like a triangle/pyramid shape click on tat and the border will then go around the clip.

10. Default

Sorry if I'm being slow. But I'm slightly confused.

Why do I need to put a border on them? I don't need a border. Is this for the first problem or the second (I assume the second.)
    Last edited by The Nightingale; 11-29-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast