Thread: The timeline - how to edit just one track?

1. Default The timeline - how to edit just one track?

Hi - I've got Sony Vegas pro 9.0 and been experimenting for a couple of months, but I don't want to upload a video until I know all the fundamental aspects properly. There have been a few things that have been holding me back with Vegas and I haven't been able to find help via tuts etc.

1) How do you edit on just one track without it affecting the other tracks (inc audio.) If, for example, I want to cut the audio short then it also deletes the same area of the video or vice-versa. The same happens if you want to manipulate and edit (i.e make longer or shorter) text above a video track. This is causing me all sorts of problems. I have tried right-clicking audio> ungroup, but the "ungroup" option isn't available. How do I avoid this problem?

Replies appreciated

The Nightingale

There is an icon on the top (on left hand side) toolbar that says something like, "IGNORE EVENT GROUPING" click on that and it will un-group audio and video, click to group them back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Nightingale View Post
    . I have tried right-clicking audio> ungroup, but the "ungroup" option isn't available. How do I avoid this problem?
    I trust you mean you right click on the audio track and then select Group | Remove From (U)
    or press the control key.

If so, and given the trouble with the text track, I suspect you may have auto ripple switched on. If you remove a part of a track everything else will shift to fill in the gap (variable depending on what options you've selected)
    Auto Ripple is a toggle button along the top - Keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+L
    Tim

4. Default

Thanks so much- that did the trick. I must have put autoripple on ages ago when I was editing a video.

Blog Entries

One down another six to go, eh?
    Tim

Hi, Iam having the same problem, Can you please suggest some way to avoid it. If I edit one track, it is affecting the other tracks too. Iam using Sony Vegas pro 13.
    Thanks

Did you read the replies given in this thread? Auto Ripple is in the Timeline Toolbar in Vegas Pro 13 though.