Thread: DV to Tape problems

Default DV to Tape problems

I am using Premiere 6.5 on Mac OSX. I am playing the video through the timeline and I have a DV converter (Formac Studio DV) running as a bridge. I have the firewire coming out of my Mac into the firewire in port on the converter. I am then running a scart from the VHS to a S-Video and two audio into the converter. It is working fine except I can only get a black and white picture? I can't think for the life of me why. I have tried the set up on a different television and get the same results?

Does anyone use the Studio DV converter with Premiere that has come across any such problems or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.......

Hi,

The S-Video will only work if the machine is an S-VHS machine. If it isn't then the picture will be in black and white. In this case you will have to use the composite out of the converter.

If your machine is S-VHS however then maybe the problem could be betwenn the VHS machine and the monitor.

They only other possibility could be a faulty S-Video connection on the DV converter. Try conecting the S out straight to a monitor and see if it's colour or b/w.

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

Quote Originally Posted by fastedit
    Hi,

The S-Video will only work if the machine is an S-VHS machine. If it isn't then the picture will be in black and white. In this case you will have to use the composite out of the converter.

If your machine is S-VHS however then maybe the problem could be betwenn the VHS machine and the monitor.

They only other possibility could be a faulty S-Video connection on the DV converter. Try conecting the S out straight to a monitor and see if it's colour or b/w.

Nick
    Cheers Nick,

Managed to get it sorted using composite video. Problem now is that when it's recording the picture breaks up at various points. Is this to do with my settings?

Dan

This could be something to do with the DV output. I used to get picture breakup on premiere 6.0 whilest exporting to DV. What are the system specs of your machine? Are there any other programes or processes running at the same time?

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

Quote Originally Posted by fastedit
    This could be something to do with the DV output. I used to get picture breakup on premiere 6.0 whilest exporting to DV. What are the system specs of your machine? Are there any other programes or processes running at the same time?

Nick
    All sorted now, thanks for the advice though. I exported to DV tape then recorded from that without any problem. Not sure if any quality was lost but if so was not noticeable.

Thanks again.

Dan