Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premiere 6.0 : PC requirements etc ?

Default Premiere 6.0 : PC requirements etc ?

Hi,
    I am trying to run Premiere 6 on my PC but am having a few teething problems. Could you possibly help with some advice and suggestions :
    My PC is a Pent 4 Intel R, CPU 2.4GHz, with 1.00GB Ram.
    ...Not powerful enough etc ?
    On first try , my video footage from my Sony HC 52E Handycam is capturing and drag / dropping into the timeline perfectly OK, but it stutters and jumps on playback, and I am not getting sound on playback either even though the wav fille is visible on the timeline. Though, I do get sound when I scub the Timeline.
    Might it be that my PC is underpowered etc and doesn't have the capacity etc to run Premiere. Is that the problem ? If so, what would be a good upgrade for my PC ?
    cheers, Premmie6

Blog Entries

Premiere 6 is very much a legacy product, and your pc spec far exceeds what i used with the software. You should be editing no problem.

How full are your drives and how have you capturd the video. The correct answers by the way are, 'empty' and 'by firewire'
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Premiere 6 is very much a legacy product, and your pc spec far exceeds what i used with the software. You should be editing no problem.

How full are your drives and how have you capturd the video. The correct answers by the way are, 'empty' and 'by firewire'
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Hi Marc ! Apologies for not replying sooner - I'd pretty much given up.
    ...Well that's very encouraging !!
    Everyone's telling me that I must upgrade to at least 4GigRam, better processor - the works - basically a complete new PC. - Expensive.
    To answer your questions : Yes - Firewire capture is working fine. I have a cheapy generic capture card but it seems to work OK.
    My 120gig hard drive is half full - so I'll back everything up by burning all my existing hard drive files to Data DVD's - and then re install Premiere 6 and see what happens.
    I've set my capture dialogue setting to 48 / PAL - correct ?
    Many thanks - anything else you might think could be causing Premiere 6 not to run smoothly ?

cheers, I'll come back soon after I've tried again.

Premmie6

[QUOTE=Premmie6;127235]Hi Marc ! Apologies for not replying sooner - I'd pretty much given up.
    ...Well that's very encouraging !!
    Everyone's telling me that I must upgrade to at least 4GigRam, better processor - the works - basically a complete new PC. - Expensive.
    To answer your questions : Yes - Firewire capture is working fine. I have a cheapy generic capture card but it seems to work OK.
    My 120gig hard drive is half full - so I'll back everything up by burning all my existing hard drive files to Data DVD's - and then re install Premiere 6 and see what happens.
    I've set my capture dialogue setting to 48 / PAL - correct ?
    Many thanks - anything else you might think could be causing Premiere 6 not to run smoothly ?

cheers, I'll come back soon after I've tried again.

....and so I did...still no joy, same problem persists. I cleared my hard drive
    so now I have 21g used space and 93g useable space.
    Moviemaker works perfectly as is has - but I'd hoped not to have to use it - awful. Looks like I'm going to have to..?

Default RE Premiere 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post

Posted via Mobile Device

Marc.. or anyone... what might this tell you ?

I've managed to get Premiere 6 to work for me by doing the following :
    I capture the footage via my capture card / camcord into Premiere. Then I save each clip as AVI into a folder. Then I turn the camera off, shut down Premiere 6 and re open it. I then drag and drop that saved AVI into Premiere and it works.
    Does that tell us it's something to do with the camera ? I also now disconnect the battery re charge cable which I've been using for continuous power .
    I can use transitions when editing in this way but noe effects.

cheers P6

It sounds as though you were leaving the camera attached when editing. There is no need to do that. Its a three stage process, capture the files, edit the video, save the finished product.

So once the files are captured, turn off and disconnect the camera as it has no further part to play.

Now that you have cleaned the hard drive make sure its properly defragmented and see how you get on.

Its not going to be perfect with only one hard disk drive but you should still be able to produce your movie ok. Good luck

Do you actually mean "Premier 6" (which dates back to way before Windows XP was released or do you mean "Premere Elements 6" which is much much newer??? I only ask because Premiere 6 has not come up in conversation for many years so U wonder if you really mean PE6

System requirements would be very very different.

Default Yes Premiere Version 6.0

[QUOTE=Alan Mills;127781]Do you actually mean "Premier 6" (which dates back to way before Windows XP was released or do you mean "Premere Elements 6" which is much much newer??? I only ask because Premiere 6 has not come up in conversation for many years so U wonder if you really mean PE6

System requirements would be very very different.

Hi Alan - Yes, My version is the old ...(very) Premiere 6.0
    I'm encouraged because another Forum member told me that even with only 1 gig Ram and 2.4 processor etc, that with Premiere 6.0 I'd be able to edit. I'm finding that by saving the captured footage as AVI, the turning the camera off and disconnecting it from my PC, then booting up again and dragging and dropping that saved AVI into Premiere, that all goes well.
    I'm finding that I can not use efffects as they take yonks to render, but transitions are fine.

cheers

I'm amazed! I have same problem now with my new powerful PC. Audio only when scrubbing. Jerky playback. I'll try your move. If you still around - let me know how you are getting on. I use Prem.6.5 but have upgraded right from Premier 5 > 5.1 etc ..6 >6.1 >6.5 but this one puzzles me. Maybe I ought to be using the new Pro cs4 but I just love A and B track editing!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Do you actually mean "Premier 6" (which dates back to way before Windows XP was released or do you mean "Premere Elements 6" which is much much newer??? I only ask because Premiere 6 has not come up in conversation for many years so U wonder if you really mean PE6
    alan, there's no such thing as premiere elements 6. premiere elements jumped from 4 to 7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast