Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here

1. Default New guy here

hey hey, first post here! i'm fairly new to the video editing world. I don't have a cam corder or anything so i am mainly stuck to doing intro's and in game videos with fraps etc.

anyway, only apparently allowed one vid per thread.. so here is one of them!

i am always open to constructive criticism etc and i have a few other videos aswell on my youtube account

Hi

Well I think you win the shortest video sequence prize in this section. As an intro its ok but I am not sure how much technical skill was involved in producing it.

Good luck

3. Default

not much technical skill invovled as i am by far from a pro at this kind of stuff.. i just watched a few vids on youtube and took that basis and started to make videos that are progessively more technical each time, still.. always learning and always open to advice and what not

Blog Entries

At 10 secs it's too long. Seriously!

Imagine you are showing half a dozen of your films (I'm assuming these are of a typical length for a good amateur short - say 3 to 12 minutes).

By the third film, people will have got fed up with this ident. You need something very short and sweet.
    Tim

5. Default

short and sweet..gotcha..i tend to get carried away and make quite lenghty stuff.. but i shall take your advice into consideration and make them short =) or atleast try to hehe

Tim is right of course, 10 seconds would be to long to use as an ident. What is your ultimate goal and purpose for learning to edit? Is it to produce home movies, slick film trailer re-edits ? I ask because its unusual to see someone start with a film ident, that normally comes after you have a few films under your belt and you want to try and identify your work with a brand.

There is nothing wrong with editing in-game footage although you would have to post the results in the fan video section.

Hey Dusty, What Tim Said is correct if you will be showing a few of your vids at a time. I have a different take on it. I think it would be a fine opener for a horror or mystery movie as that seems to be to mood of it. BUT it would not be suitable for a comedy or nature video.

I have a number of different openers depending on the movie type. Which up until now has been mostly family movies, days out etc.

Watch out for the sudden ending of the sound track. It makes it sound odd. I think what you did was a good technical exercise which looked good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Hey Dusty, What Tim Said is correct if you will be showing a few of your vids at a time.
    This is fair comment. As many know I belong to a video (ie filmmaker's) club. I also attend festivals. It's surprising how much the memory retains and only seeing the same ident a couple of times is enough for it to be lodged in one's memory. So a lot of my film watcjhing is watching short films one after another either in competitions, show reels or on the internet (eg here)

Indeed I'll frequently see an ident and (semi) subconsciously associate it with what I've seen of that persons films before.

It's really tedious watching idents that are anything other than very brief at the beginning of films - more so if you've seen the idents before - and if you're watching a number of films back to back. Interestingly I do NOT find this the case for trailing idents. I think you, Midnight Blue, stick a longer ident at the end (which I have even praised). This is no problem as one likes time after a film to reflect on what one has seen (and even make notes, score points etc)

My aversion to long idents is also NOT the case when watching a film as a one-off - eg at the cinema, where it's all part of the settling down getting ready for the main picture.

So it's horses for courses really.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think you, Midnight Blue, stick a longer ident at the end (which I have even praised). This is no problem as one likes time after a film to reflect on what one has seen (and even make notes, score points etc)
    I never like to see a film end suddenly. I always want some time to take it in before youtube breaks the spell by throwing up its suggestions for what I might want to look at next.

Preferably I like a bit of sound over the credits but failing that even letting it run for 5 seconds as black screen is better than the youtube offers breaking through.

10. Default

good stuff and advice guys..just wish i had a camcorder and actually do something.. but for now i am stuck with playing about in sony vegas and getting used to the programme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast