Thread: Plz Help! Vegas 6 and Widescreen problem

Question Plz Help! Vegas 6 and Widescreen problem

Hi,

I've got a Sony camcorder with a "Widescreen" recording option. I use Sony Vegas 6 and DVD Architect Studio 3, and want to watch DVDs on a Sony widescreen TV. Easy, right?

No matter what I try, my DVDs show cropped on the sides.

Originally I used a Vegas project setting of "NTSC Widescreen 720x480". When I click "Make Movie" there's also a checkbox on one of the screens for "Use DVD Widescreen" (or something like that) which I usually check, then in DVD Arch I also use a project setting of "NTSC Widescreen 720x480".

Cropped. Various combinations of "NTSC 720x480" vs "NTSC Widescreen 720x480", while checking and unchecking the "Use DVD Widescreen" option, still cropped.

I'm overwhelmed. Too many settings I dont' know anything about, too many possible combinations... can anybody please let me what settings I should use to get a vid that doesn't crop?

Million thanks!
    -Suzie

Blog Entries

OK Let's get some more detail.
    What camera do you have? What type of media is it (MiniDV tape, DVD, hard disk, SD card)? What type of file does it produce?
    How do you transfer files it creates onto your PC?
    If you play those files in Windows Movie maker do they look correct?
    Do they lookm correct in the preview window in Vegas?
    If you render your files as a wmv or avi file - what do they look line in Windows Movie Maker?

Do you really mean cropped? Describe the picture you're getting. Is it stretched? Vertically/horizonatlly? And is the image a 4:3 image rather than widescreen?

Sorry, lots of questions, but I'm sure we'll get there.
    Tim

Thank you for helping!

Ok, the camera I use for widescreen video is a Canon Elura 85 (thought it was a Sony, i was wrong) on Mini-DV's. When I mix still pics into a home movie, it's with a Nikon D-40, and uses SD cards and .jpg's.

I transfer the video to the PC by connecting the camera directly to the computer (firewire) and going through the Vegas "Capture Video" process.

It replays the video in the camera, saves it as .avi's, i think, and automatically puts the clips in Vegas as project media. I drag and drop to the timeline, mess around a bit, hit "Make Movie..." (using the widescreen options), "Send to DVD Architect", mess around some more with menus and such, and ultimately "Make DVD".

(I'm sure there are different/better ways of doing stuff, but that's the only way I know to do it. lol)

Everything looks perfect in Vegas preview. If I play the DVD on the computer, or render to .avi (never done a .wmv) it looks great there too.

When I play the DVD on my widescreen TV is where I get the problem. It completely fills the screen (no black bars anywhere) and vertically it looks correct. The sides of the pic are chopped off, though. Doesn't look stretched at all, and I can tell from playing the DVD on the computer it's not 4:3.

It's the sides - if the DVD were a man he'd be arm-less. If I put a title that stretches close to border to border it might be missing part of a letter on each side. Or if I have a group shot with a dozen people lined up, the little kid that's always on the end would be out of the picture on the TV. :-O

Hope this helps, anything to finally get this right. I know there's a gillion different pic formats and stuff, and I'd be fine if it had black bars across the top to fit the proper format, but the cropping is bad.

(Has bugged me ever since my first vid. I bought Vegas a couple years ago when I got the camera and that's all I've ever used (what's Windows Movie Maker?). I've lived with a little cropping ever since, but I'm trying to do a video of my sister's wedding and I'd really like to get this one right. Thank you, thank you!!)

Blog Entries

Great descriptions - thanks for posting.

Firstly, let me reasurre you that you are doing everything correctly.

(And my apologies - I didn't mean Window Movie Maker, I meant Windows MEDIA Player. I wasn't paying enough attention to where my fingers were going on the keyboard)

What is interesting is that you say that on a TV vertically it looks OK. If you have a 16:9 image and display it on a 16:9 screen and it fills the screen but some of the left and right is cut off, then some of the top and bottom must be cut off as well.

Are you aware that a TV will cut off 5-15% of the outside of an image? This is why Vegas has an overlay in the preview window called "safe area" This just superimposes a border in the frame so you can make sure all the critical stuff (especially titles) should be framed within it. Maybe you frame your images very closely and your TV has a particularly large amount of "overscan" (as I belive it's called).

I'd be inclined to create a film of something easily identifiable (like text/numbers) which extends right into the corners of the frame, burn it to DVD and see exactly how much you lose, bith vertically and horizontally.
    Tim

Maybe it's just an overscan issue then. The top and bottom look ok, but it's probably loosing something there then too, it's just not as noticable.

I try to stay in those "safe areas", but with pics especially, sometimes you can't help having something "critical" around the edges (especially the sides, aparently! lol)

I guess there's no way to tell Vegas and/or DVD Arch to add an "overscan padding" area around the actual picture?

I see all kinds of settings for things that go way over my head - (what's the difference between "NTSC widescreen 720x480" and just "NTSC 720x480", for example? How can one 720x480 be wider then another 720x480?)

There's something in there about frame size, would tweaking that give me a padding area? And pixel aspect ratio? ... just monkeying around I tried playing with that and it made some differences, but I have know idea what I was doing there.

Anyway, I was hoping there was an "oh, you're doing this wrong, change this setting to this and you'll be fine" answer, but it doesn't sound like it. For once, "doing everything correctly" isn't what I wanted to hear! lol

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BobcatOrange View Post
    For once, "doing everything correctly" isn't what I wanted to hear! lol
    Sorry

You've nearly answered your own question about 720x480 and 720x480 widescreen. The clue is "pixel aspect ratio"

All NTSC standard def images are 720x480 whether widescreen or not. The difference is in ths SHAPE of the pixels (the pixel aspect ratio). Widescreen images are made out of pixels which are wider than standard 4:3 images. If you muck about with them you're just widening/narrowing the picture. Whether this will affect what's played on a domestic DVD player I've no idea. I suspect they are just set to deal with just TWO PARs.
    Tim