Thread: Vegas for Dummies -_-

Wink Vegas for Dummies -_-

Hello fellow video editors.
    i'm total newbie in video editing, i would like to know more about this, especially about Sony Vegas -as i need it for my work. would be glad if you could point me to some guides for starters, basics of this software and video editing in general, software I'm intending to use is Sony Vegas Pro 9 (x64 bit). would be grateful for any information

Blog Entries

Well you could do a lot worse than downloading the 30 day trial of Vegas.

As a basic introduction I always recommend the Interactive Tutorials. They're under the help menu.

Then you might look at the "How Do I" sections in the online help.

I also strongly recommend you download the pdf format manual (from the SonyCreativeSoftware site.

Other than that there are quite a few simple video tutorials on Vegas on YouTube.

There are some (a bit more advanced) ones on the SonyCreativeSoftware site.

Cheema of this parish has a useful site for Vegas info (check out any posts by ZCheema and the links are in his sig) and Wil Chapman (aka ChapmanPhotography here) has also produced a number of tutorials.

But don't expect it to be easy. Your first few hours/weeks will most likely confuse the hell out of you (and the same goes for all video software) but persevere and suddenly things will start to fall into place and you'll never look back.
    Tim

Thanks, fortunatly it's not 30 day trial - We got it licensed ( not specially for me, but for other company's needs )
    From that replay i would assume there are more powerful/easier to use software out there rather then sony vegas? -_-

As Tim suggest check signature

www.cheema.co.uk

There are some beginner tutorials on the left of the front page and in the Hints & tips
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 11-12-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AFKer View Post
    From that replay i would assume there are more powerful/easier to use software out there rather then sony vegas? -_-
    Easier to use - certainly. But by their very nature they are more limited.

More powerful? That's a difficult question. Most other pro systems will have some features that Vegas doesn't and be missing some of the features Vegas does have. No two systems have exactly the same feature set.

And then there's the question of emphasis. Vegas has particularly good Audio facilities (abilities to route tracks into diferent busses, apply FX at any level etc). But you may not care about that.

Similarly it has the facility to create keyframable freehand masks (so you can draw around a moving object in one video to cut it out and insert it over another, for example). Not many NLEs have that. Again you may not want it.

On the other hand Premiere Pro has support for certain GPUs meanting that if you have the right graphics chip, it can use the GPU to speed up rendering/preview of certain FX. Vegas doesn't have that, but then it means you're not at any particular advantage/disadvantage if you have/don't have the latest $300 graphics card.

It's a bit like saying "are there better cars out tere than my Mercedes?"

Vegas is a great tool. It's not for everyone, but you have to give any Pro level NLE a good few weeks if you REALLY want to know if it's good for you.
    Tim