Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mix Martial Art Highlight reel

1. Default Mix Martial Art Highlight reel

Hi all

i've put a small highlight reel of my MMA club, all comments welcome as i always look to improve.

cheers

The first thing that struck me with this video apart from the horrible laughing in the dark title, was the orange colour. It looks like you didn't do a white balance before shooting. This could have also been corrected in post.

Another thing I thought it needed was some sound of the action. The music track was ok but I do think the video would have been better with some grunts and thuds of the action.

Now a point about aesthetics which you may or may not be able to do anything about. When most laymen think of martial arts I'm sure they think of Bruce Lee or House of Flying Daggers or even The Karate Kid movies. The big thing you remember from these movies are the spectacular leaps or high kicks beautifully shot in slow motion etc... I'm not saying you should do some wire work but it might have been nice to see some more variety other than lots of sparing. I'm sure someone would have been willing to do a high kick over the camera or some such thing.

What you shot was probably closer to reality about the club but I feel some "add value shots" would have added more interest to the over all video.

Hope this helps for the next one.

3. Default

Hi Midnight Blue

Yeah i probabley should of spent some extra time on the white balance which i will have a go on my next shoot.

And now looking at it i totally agree with the slow motion and kicks over the camera i'll get that on the next shoot and watch some old films and get some ideas.

regarding the grunts and thuds i can get some i.e the pad hitting but that would probable be the only sounds i could pick up from the guys as theres not a lot of loud slams.

also you said horrible title lol could i ask specifically what was or was it the whole thing? (the reason i choose that was because my main logo is of a smiling cartoon all darkened out except the eyes and smile, the reason i used the other one in the video is that the picture i use i found years ago as a avatar and i cant find anything bigger then thatto put on as when enlarged it gets pixelated)

your last comment i tottally agree its more real to how the lesson and action is but i could of added the extras in to make it more interesting.

im gona go back to the drawing board and get some ideas for a more improved one

cheers Midnight Blue

I don't like the negative image of the face to me it looks sinister and the dark red type just adds to the feeling. BUT thats just my taste.

There is a season of Chinese and Japanese movies on Film4 which you can get lots of ideas from, however unreal they are they are without a doubt a spectacular visual treat.

Good luck with your next project.

Hi

Yet again I agree with Midnight's comment. As soon as I started to watch it I felt that it was crying out for some sounds of the action as well as the music. Most of the shots were mid length but it was missing the closeups. You need to get in tight, lets see the faces, the sweat, the impact of hits. I assume your camera will zoom a lot more than we saw? The mid shots are fine, its just that we need to see it up close as well.

Now judging by your ending this is really an advert to attract people to your club? If so then with a few tweaks it could be a lot more powerful. Why not have a try at interviewing some of the members, ask them why they come to the club, how did they get into the sport, etc. Include snippets of the best bits in amongst the action.

I didn't like the music track much to be honest. It didn't convey much energy to me but I accept music is a very personal thing.

You have a solid base to take to the next stage. Well done

Shrimpy

6. Default

cheers guys

Midnight now looking more at the beginning with comments i can see it being sinister, i think i will try and look for something more turned down lol

Shrimpy

def gona look to get closer shoots of the impact of the hits etc i'll have to get the guys to play along some times as it's unpredictable which way they are going to more or the reachtion ( do they cover up or catch the shoot and clinch up). But then again i could focus on one pair for 20 minutes then at least i'll be garanted something even if its 20 seconds.

And def a good idea for the interviews, i was looking to do a longer video and that would make it a lot more interesting.

Thanks Guys

this has been alot of help and insperation for my next projects

cheers

Blog Entries

White balance. My guess it was on auto and you switched the cam on before taking the lens cap off. Or it was set to a previous manual setting. No AWB is as bad as that

A couple of additional comments.

Try to get more of a narrative into the video. It looked to me like you'd done that in some parts, but other parts were totally random shots of people fighting. These may well MEAN something to those involved in the sport, but if this is to publicise the club, you need to show the uninitiated what's going on in simple terms. Mini interviews may well help with this.

But also try to structure it arround a simple narrative if you can. One obvious method would be to base your shots around a session - ideally following one or two characters.

Opening: show people putting on sports clothes, gloves, helmets (extreme close up of eg hand strapping on glove, keep the viewer in suspense rather than show whole bodies)

Next: Show some warm up/stretcing

Next show some excercises, drillls

Then Show some fighting (start with opponents facing each other and the signal to commence - BIG music to cut in at this point)

Finish fighting scenes with a few submissions.

Finish video with guys coming out of showers - head and shoulder shot of someone towelling down his hair for example.

This would just give a natural flow to the whole piece ad you could bnuild anything else you wanted into this.

And, especially if you're advertising a commercial venture, do NOT use any music unless you specifically have the rights to do so.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Finish video with guys coming out of showers - head and shoulder shot of someone towelling down his hair for example.
    This would be a particularly good idea if there are female members of the club.

Tims advice about a narrative is a very important point which I foolishly neglected to mention.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    ..... point which I foolishly neglected to mention.
    Shouldn't that read "deliberately neglected to mention so that others would have something to add"?
    This is exactly where this forum scores so well - a diversity of comments and opinions.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This would be a particularly good idea if there are female members of the club.
    Taken in jest as intended, but in all seriousness you raise an interesting point.

I think any females in the film (unless put in a distinct "girls only" section) would detract from the feel of it. At the moment it sends out (at least to me) a real "male bonding" thing. Verging on the homo-erotic even. Think the wrestling scene in Ken Russel's Women in Love.

Women introduced into the same scenes would destroy it somehow.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast