Thread: Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

1. Default Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Last Part of the 3 Videos. Let me know what you guys think. Yes the beginning is slow for a reason .

You have the pans around the car sorted and can now make good use of focus. I was not sure about the reversal of the pan as you swung around the car but on watching it over a few times I actually do like it.

I think you films are too short, which is odd because most people suffer from being too long. I think you need to concentrate now on the pacing, don't be afraid to let a shot sink in. I find this difficult myself. As Tim often says, its easy to forget that as we make our films we see the clips dozens of times so therefore they may appear just the right length to us but for a new viewer they can be too quick. The good news is you leave us wanting a bit more but at some point you are going to have to deliver that bit more

I can see what your trying to do with the pause between the slow and fast section. For me you held the black screen a little too long to achieve the right punch when the car came back in full flight.

The last thing I will mention on this one is the credit roll. Why is there no sound ? I would have perhaps gone back to the track that was playing at the start or allowed the track to continue that was already playing or just used the engine noise. I normally like to fade my videos but leave the sound playing for a good few seconds longer and throw up another title or credit then fade to nothing. For me its like a nice coffee after the meal

So where are you in the world ? What's your connection to all these cars and is this footage that has been shot after you have been here for advice or before ? I am assuming its after but then again your still not taking enough shots so maybe its older footage ?

How much footage do you shoot per car in comparison to how much you end up using ?

Good effort

Shrimpy

I'll start by saying Shrimpy pretty much said it all. Your best shot was the closeup at 6 secs. This is the sort of shot that was missing in you earlier videos. I like that you are experimenting eg the pan one way then the next then back again. If you continue experimenting you will find new and interesting shots.

The fade to black and then bang was a good idea but didn't work for me only because it wasn't set up right. It was the way the music was cut you need to find music which fits the job your doing. So a natural break or lull in the music was needed at that point to match the visuals. BUT again I'm not knocking you for trying the idea it could have worked. Keep it up.

Thinking about it, what might have been better would be to have the car reappearing after the black screen right in your face up close and zooming past. I think it would have created a bigger impact.

PLEASE THINK OF YOUR SAFETY AT ALL TIMES WHEN DOING THIS SORT OF THING.

4. Thumbs up

The footage we shot was from November 7th 09. I had received quite a bit of help from you guys before the shoot, but i have also learned a lot more since that shoot as well. So it may not seem as I am getting better, but really I am playing with older footage. I am working on getting more shots and throwing them together to create something more in the minute maybe minute and a half range.

I have to say, picking music for a video has got to be one of the hardest things to do. I fell into finding the beginning of this video's music. I had never heard it before and I was going through my computer and stumbled upon it, worked out well.

The Nov 7th Shoot was more of an experiment. I have been looking for a partner to make these kind of videos and I finally found someone interested. That was the first time we had worked together and we are still working the details out, trying to get used to each other's style. We both want to take the Top Gear Genre to a new level so we both have the same goal.

SAFETY MESSAGE: EVERYTHING WE SHOT ON 11-7-09 WE MAY HAVE BROKEN THE SPEED LIMIT A FEW TIMES BUT OTHER THAN THAT, NO OTHER LAWS WERE BROKEN. THE ROADS WE DID SHOOT ON WERE VERY VERY LOW TRAFFIC AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH. AND I DO THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN.

I am located in the United States, in Missouri of all places. Smack in the middle of the Country. We have a local online forum that we hang out at and that is how I make most of my connections with the guys with the cool cars. The Lotus is a friend of mine I have known for sometime now so I could shoot as much of his car as I wanted, he wouldn't mind. I own a 05 Subaru STi, World Rally blue, that was in one of the first videos I posted, Lotus Sti Video.

I have yet to think of a name for a business or production, that is why there is no name or intro in the beginning. The really didn't even think about credit music, for whatever reason it never popped in my head. But I know it will be next video.

I can't thank you guys enough for critiquing my work. It helps me so much. You guys are awesome. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Thinking about it, what might have been better would be to have the car reappearing after the black screen right in your face up close and zooming past. I think it would have created a bigger impact.

PLEASE THINK OF YOUR SAFETY AT ALL TIMES WHEN DOING THIS SORT OF THING.
    I agree the close up would have helped a lot.

As for the safety thing, I can imagine that with a nice car and an open road people will blast it. I have done exactly the same myself. In those circumstances you have 100% concentration in the task at hand. Provided there is no other traffic then there is little risk at all. The danger comes when you try and combine it with capturing the right shot, that could take your concentration off the road. The reality is of course the car does not look any better at 100 mph than it does at 30 mph.

I look forward to the next offering. If you get really good at this you will start to get requests from your friends to make videos of their cars. The next step would be to start charging for it.

And you could pay Shrimp and a commission. lol