Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lost World: New Comedy Film

Default The Lost World: New Comedy Film

Here is a short film we made at the weekend and edited in a few days. Hope you like it

Synopsis: A ruler flicking waster embarks on a mission with his depressed friend across the lost world on an adventure of mystery and self discovery. Comedy ensues.

Starring and Directed by:
    Callum Thomson
    Anthony Richardson

Written by:
    Callum Thomson
    Patrick Shelton
    Anthony Richardson

Director of Photography:
    Patrick Shelton

Editor:
    Callum Thomson

Lighting Assistant:
    Dan Cheetham

Guest Starring:
    Cleggers

Music:
    Incompetech

Anyone fancy giving me some feedback?

Yes I will give you some feedback.

You got 2 real laughs out of me, the first when he spat out the sweet and re-wrapped it and I am surprised to say the even bigger laugh when the rebound hit him in the nose.

There are only two things I can suggest for improvement, the sound, and more gags.

I think you should be proud of what you have produced, the camera work was very good and the editing nice and tight, perhaps except for the ruler flicking which went on a little to long. There is a chance that could lose some youtubers at the start.

I really liked the characters. I would give you 7/10 for the acting, which lets face it will improve in leaps and bounds the more you do. The length was about right.

Well done.

Blog Entries

I liked the slow pan for the opening shot. And the music.
    Unfortunately after that it just got slower.
    Once I realised I was also going to have difficulty understanding the voices because of the heavy noise reduction you've used (presumably because there was too much noise in the first place) I gave up.
    Then I tried again.
    But I gave up again.
    Tim

Thanks a lot guys

In our next project we will be using a boom mic but due to crew shortages we had to use onboard mic. And yes you're right the audio was altered in audacity to reduce the noise and boost the dialogie.

That's our first compliment on acting so thanks for that. Usually we're behind camera but we have such a laugh messing around infront of camera we thought we'd give it another whirl so it's great to hear you liked our efforts

Tim I think you should give it another shot, after all its only 4mins and I've been told its pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    Tim I think you should give it another shot, after all its only 4mins and I've been told its pretty funny.
    Being told its funny by people you know does not count. They are only ever likely to tell you what they think you want to hear. Tim has given it 2 shots already so your pushing your luck there. If it was me I would take a crowbar to it if you asked me to have a 3rd screening.

Tim told you what he thought about it, that is actually valuable information. Most people bale out of a viewing without ever commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Most people bale out of a viewing without ever commenting.
    Like me

Blimey maybe I am losing my touch because I actually did enjoy this video. Perhaps its because I am stuck in a caravan in Wales, its pissing down with rain to the point that the gurgling brook we are next to is threatening to turn into a raging torrent. We have gale force winds coming later.

Haha thanks very much I guess.... You enjoyed it which is the main thing

Sorry about living in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Most people bale out of a viewing without ever commenting.
    Like me. I waited till you folks commented, before I dared. I could not make it through the whole thing. The sound was terrible. And the two guys made Bemis and Butthead look like intellectual giants.

Having said that, it was not necessarily that bad and could be greatly improved by just two things:
    1. Get better sound.
    2. Use better camera angles, like over the shoulder shots and closeups, to draw the audience into the silly emotion of the scenes. Unfortunately, doing this type of comedy is extremely difficult to successfully pull off if you don't properly use your camera and blocking to get into the character's heads and drag the viewers into their world (even if kicking and screaming all the way).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast