Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The execution of Gary Glitter

Default The execution of Gary Glitter

Anyone been watching this tonight on C4? Powerful stuff.

Saw it advertised, but the name put me off, so I watched Numb3rs instead!!

Yes, I'm still wobbling from it. The guy who played him was creepily like him. I thought it was really well made

Certainly some of the best acting I have seen for ages and well filmed to. I just checked the channel 4 debate and the overwhelming number of commentators are saying that all it has done is cause them to be disgusted and to reject any notion of the reintroduction of the death penalty.

I am assuming that the evidence produced in the courtroom is based on the evidence of his trial ? I didnt follow it at the time so it was all news to me. I wonder what the makers intent was, other than making a great story?

I don't know about the real thing either I don't even know where he is now. I'm sure it must be really weired for him if he's seen it.

I think the intent must have been to show the reality of the state taking a mans life. It's one of those touchy subjects which some people have strong views about. BUT most people who want the death penalty, I would think, haven't really thought about the real horrors of it.

It is horrible of course but I would vote for its return. I think there are some crimes where it should be an option. I respect that others may not share that view of course.

Interesting that on the news this evening they reported that the sniper who killed 12 people over a period of a few days in Washington a few years back has lost his final appeal and will be executed tomorrow.

For me it's not a question of a crime not being bad enough to "deserve it" I have 2 main problems. One is the possibility of a miscarriage of Justice. The other is the radical side of me that doesn't want the state to have any powers over me about anything. (That makes me sound like an anarchist) What I mean is I strongly believe that each of us should be able to live our lives in the way each of us want. The state seems to be taking away these liberties bit by bit. So the less powers they have the better.

That's why I like these discussions because it forces me to step into another's shoes and try to see the argument from their viewpoint. I share the frustration when I find certain rules impinge on what I want to do or compel me to do something I don't.

There have to be rules though otherwise the strong would terrorise the weak and in areas of the UK that happens on a daily basis.

Execution of an innocent is the real sticking point and its clear from history that many an innocent person has gone to the gallows. We are human so therefore we are imperfect and no system that we create will be without fault.

Some people are evil and will continue to kill at every opportunity they get, both within prison and on their release. I feel our priority should be to protect the innocent victims as far as we can. Looking after these people only places others at risk. Perhaps those who kill for a second time should face this ultimate sanction.

It's a wise man that always tries to see all the sides of an argument. Yes we do have to live by rules but they should be based on common law, morals, etc.. and not these stupid politicians attempts to at 15 mins of fame. You know the way we knew law in the UK ie free to do anything except if there is a law against it. That is slowly changing to the European version which is, there has to be a law saying you can do it or it's illegal.

I quite like the American idea of a bill of rights/constitution. The idea as far as I understand it is all their laws are based around these inalienable freedoms. This is the sort of protection from the state we should have in this country. I'm not saying the American system is perfect but it had a good start.

Some people are evil, mentally ill or however you want to see them these people should be kept away from those how they would do harm to others. Ian Brady, The Yorkshire Riper etc. Should we kill them ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Yes we do have to live by rules but they should be based on common law, morals, etc.. and not these stupid politicians attempts to at 15 mins of fame.
    And there is the sticking point.

Each of us being able to live life how we want to is an ideal.

But that has to be modified by adding "so long as it doesn't prevent others living life as they want to".

Which leads to contradiction.

So we have to have rules.

And it seems logical for a society to function that the rules should be decided by concensus of the majority.

However, it is impractical for everyone in the society to (a) familiarise themselves with the ins and outs of every situation requiring a rule, and (b) be able to vote on every issue.

So, we HAVE to delegate that responibility to an elected few and appointed "experts" (eg the judiciary, advisors).

Of course that opens up lots of scope for incompetence and corruption, but can anyone think of a better way than a government that is re-elected every 5 years max?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast