Thread: Why is it? (FCP)

Blog Entries

Default Why is it? (FCP)

I've noticed a growing trend recently among people who use Final Cut and even iMovie to include that fact in their credits. Last week a member of my club who's recently swapped to a Machad the credit at the end "Edited with iMovie". What is this all about?

I can't remember the last time I saw an amateur movie with "Edited in Pinnacle Studio" (or AVID, or Premiere Pro, or Sony Vegas, or Edius, or Corel or whatever)

Does stating the tool you used make your movie any better?

It seems to me a bit like putting up a sign in your front garden saying "Dug with Spear & Jackson" or "Mowed with Qualcast"
    Tim

I know what you mean. I have had a busy day. It started with a good breakfast (wheetabix) then it was off out in the car (Mazda 6 TS2) down to the local shop (Tesco). Bought a few things and paid the nice lady on the till (Mastercard), before filling up with some go juice (Esso Super unleaded) and coming back to type this post (Advent Netbook, Windows XP Google Chrome).

I sometimes think though that the brackets can add something to the story

That reminds me of when I was editing the very first video I ever ever shot. The opening titles had Pinnacle in them because you had to unlock the effect to get rid of the water mark. I was so green I didn't even realise you didn't need to have it there.

Blog Entries

There seems to be a wish to be seen as a "pro". A lot of production houses use FCP as do a lot of colleges, schools, private film schools etc. etc. So the kids are stamping their video with a "Look! I use a pro software" marker.

You won't find any professional (ie proper professional) productions with it in the credits unless Apple pays them for it and they'll only do that for a mega-feature film. By having "Edited with Final Cut" in the end credits, maybe the kids are trying to give the impression that Apple have paid them

Bearing in mind that we use both FCP and Avid at work, it would have more kudos to say "Edited on Avid" which costs about 20k compared to FCP which costs a few hundred. Personally, having used Avid at work, FCP at home and Premiere previously... there ain't a lot of difference between them.

You meen it's become the "Burberry" of the NLE software

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    There seems to be a wish to be seen as a "pro". A lot of production houses use FCP as do a lot of colleges, schools, private film schools etc. etc. So the kids are stamping their video with a "Look! I use a pro software" marker.
    Quite. So why don't we hear "I use Avid" as you say later? Because FCP runs on a Mac.

I'm afraid it's that same evangelical, blind faith & blind stupidity that some, nay ,many have towards Mac. Even today I hear people trot out the old "Mac's are what creative people use" (implication being PCs are only for nerds and people who are taken in by M$ marketing departments). Haven't people heard that PC software caught up donkey's years ago?

What's that? Taken in by M$ marketing? Dreadful as it is at least M$ marketing pretends to be extolling the virtues of various technologies rather than how cool the case looks or thin the notebook is.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking Macs at all (I'd like to be able to say that some of my best friends use macs, but they're only ordinary friends rather than best, and a brother in law who's junking his for a PC after Christmas becaus enow his 3 year warrenty has run out it costs him 70 every time he has a query) - just the attitude of some.

As an aside, the label "Pro" on just about anything actually means "Aspiring amateur". True pro gear, whether its software, hardware or sports equipment ramerly has the term "pro" in its title.

I rue the day Sony decided to re-label Vegas, (back to) Vegas Pro. I understand the need to distinguish it from Movie Studio but I really wish they'd chosen some other title. Mind you then we'd be stuck with something like Vegas Titanium.

Could be worse. Could be iVegas.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I know what you mean. I have had a busy day. It started with a good breakfast (wheetabix)
    Yes, but think what the i-brigade would think of you calling their sweetheart a (Mhac), or, god fobid, a (Mack)!!

Tim said ' Haven't people heard that PC software caught up donkey's years ago?'

It's not just the software, the hardware is faster and more robust than a Mac nowadays too, but it's still cheaper and you can still build what you want!

I went over to the Dark side once and got me self a Mac book Pro. Its still in the cupboard. It was very good at editing but I found that Windows had become so ingrained that I drifted back. I really should stick it on Ebay.