Thread: Why is it? (Female Videographers)

Blog Entries

Default Why is it? (Female Videographers)

Why is it that women technicians are so rare?

What prompted me to ponder this was the fact that Sarah, Allison and Tina's video is something of an exception here, being made entirely by the ladies themselves. (As an aside they are also extremely unusualy in being a female rock band in their forties)

Sure we get female presenters, female producers, and female directors, but it seems to me camera operators, sound recordists, lighting ops and editors are almost exclusively male.

Is it simply a case of the "artisan" or "craft" side of film making involves lots of gagetry and boys get into it thorugh their love of their toys, whereas perhaps women get into it more from aesthetic point of view - they have a look/feel which they want to produce but aren't particularly interested in how it is produced?

Or is there more to it than that?
    Tim

Best keep quite Tim until some females/ ladies give us some clues or we could get into the mire

Let's hope they tell us the answer to this mystery.

I think there are more ladies here than we think, hopefully a few more will be brave enough to join in the discussions.

These days more and more people are drawn to video not because they are interested in cameras etc, but because its a fantastic medium for communication. If you have a hobby or a small business what better way is there than making a video about what you have to contribute and putting it up on the web.

I came to video because I wanted to show some forum members a problem I had with a broken remote control helicopter. That led to more videos about models and I found that I got more fun out of making the videos than the flying.

As soon as you find the need to use film to communicate something, then you realise you need help in making that message effective. Thats when you end up here.

Blog Entries

Times are changeing... but slowly. There are a fair few studio camerawomen and a large percentage of editors are women however...

If I'm standing somewhere with a mini camcorder, the chances that anyone will start giving me advice are minimal. If my missus is working with a 16mm camera, big 400' mags, zoom lens and mattebox, you can guarentee that some old fart will start telling her what to do.

It's a generation thing which, hopefully, is disappearing. There is definitely a mentality amongst many men over 60 who believe that women can't understand technology. Actually there are a fair few under that age who can't grasp the idea that electronics don't need testosterone to function.

Slowly, women are being accepted in the technical side of the television and film business but a lot of them still have an uphill struggle. I imagine that it's the same in the amateur world. The reason that there are so few women videomakers is that the men won't shut up and let them get on with it.

Blog Entries

Interesting Gaffer. And you may well be right Shrimpy that there are more around than we may think.

So come on ladies, let's hear from more of you who are "just" lurking.
    Tim