Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerky video after editing

Default Jerky video after editing

I am using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate version 12 to edit my HD footage. After several time consuming attempts every completed version has jerky footage especially when the camera is panning. I used a Panasonic HS300 camera and copied the raw footage onto DVD with Panasonic DVD Burner VW-BN1 and this footage is perfect. The problem seems to be when I start editing and using the above software. I have used this software for six months now and just noticed the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience?

Are you trying to make files that your computer can't process fast enough for you to see smoothly? Even though I can edit 720p files on my computer. If I try and watch 1080i resolution it playes back jerky especially in full screen mode.

Just a thought.

If the footage was shot as Progressive, then that can be the case with the fast Pans.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Are you trying to make files that your computer can't process fast enough for you to see smoothly? Even though I can edit 720p files on my computer. If I try and watch 1080i resolution it playes back jerky especially in full screen mode.

Just a thought.
    My camera set up is set to HDMI Resolution1080i. I have choices of AUTO, 1080i, and 576p, what do you think I should set it to. I also have a componenet out setting choice between 1080i and 576i. Not quite sure what these settings are for. Any further help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    If the footage was shot as Progressive, then that can be the case with the fast Pans.
    How will I know if I shot the film as Progressive? Do I have alternative choices? Any help would be much appreciated

Ok wp59, I would like to help you. I get that you are confused so lets start off with a few basic things and work our way through them. You said you didn't notice the problem at first does that mean it wasn't doing it or you just didn't notice. If it was the later perhaps all you need to do is defrag your hard drive. Try that and lets see what happens from there.

It would help me to know what you are trying to view the edited files from and what the specs are of your computer.

Dear Midnight Blue,

Thanks for the help. My PC is not that old and tells me that defrag is not required. Done it anyway!

The specification of my computer is:-

DELL XPS 430 - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (2.33 GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB cache)

OS = Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    Hard Drive = 500GB Serial ATA Non Raid (7200Rpm)
    Memory = 4096MB (4x 1GB) 1067 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Graphics = 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 4670 Graphics Card

My video camera is a Panasonic HDC-HS300

I playback my edited videos on my DVD recorder DMR-EX88EB through my Panasonic TX26LXD70 TV.

The odd thing with my latest effort is that I copied the RAW (unedited) footage direct from the camera onto 3 DVDs via my Panasonic DVD burner VW-BN1 and it plays perfect. The problem seems to be when I use the editing software Pinnacle Studio Ultimate version 12. Then some of the same scenes are jerky. I have had good results before and wonder if I have changed some settings on the camera or software.

Regards,

wp59

I've taken a close look at what you have written. I presume the footage is ok during the editing it's self. This would show whether there was a capturing problem (dropped frames). So if we can discard that. The next thing to look at is if you are creating 1080i files your DVD player, though it is a very nice machine is not a HD DVD player so that could be another issue. So if we can discard that. It could be a problem with Pinnacle (try the Pinnacle forum for any similar problem)

Apart from that I'm afraid I'm stumped.

it will be progressive if your setting has P at the end, 24p, 25p 30p
    eg 720 24p

Also a high shutter speed can casue it

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I've taken a close look at what you have written. I presume the footage is ok during the editing it's self. This would show whether there was a capturing problem (dropped frames). So if we can discard that. The next thing to look at is if you are creating 1080i files your DVD player, though it is a very nice machine is not a HD DVD player so that could be another issue. So if we can discard that. It could be a problem with Pinnacle (try the Pinnacle forum for any similar problem)

Apart from that I'm afraid I'm stumped.
    Do you mean try the Pinnacle forum here or at Pinnacle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast