Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when autumn leaves fall

Default when autumn leaves fall

edit of a much longer effort....

when autumn leaves fall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by enc; 11-08-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Hi enc check your post as its a load of gobledy gook my end

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Hi enc check your post as its a load of gobledy gook my end

dont have much luck with embedding

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    dont have much luck with embedding
    when autumn leaves fall on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You really managed to capture Autumn in all it's beautiful colours. Well done. The shot of the birds in the sky is a bit dodgy though. Good if not obvious choice of music as well.

You have caught the colours well but there is perhaps too much of the same colour. Look around on the forest floor and all sorts of other colours will also be available to you. Some of the shots have a little bit of hose piping going on. At one point you fade but the following scene looks very similar to the first so it appears to ghost. The shot towards the sun is a bit too harsh.

I didn't mind the bird scene myself but I do like your use of some of the camera movement. Lets face it, trees are rather static subjects so getting some movement in there is vital. Great sunlight shots coming through the leaves although maybe tighten up on the editing there so that the glints appear more readily.

As for the music it certainly fits the subject however its now a very overused track and therefore it ultimately detracts rather than adding value for me. The film needs music of course.

Good job Midnight knows how to link to the video as I still couldnt get your link to work, it just asked me to log in

Good effort, I look forward to seeing more.

Blog Entries

My first thought (before reading othere posts) coincide with Shripy's about the colour. Yes, you've captured the gold well, but there are so many colours of autumn ranging from deep browns, purples and reads through creamy whites and yellows that it seemed a shame not to have included more.

I appreciate that the subject is static and hence yyou've created movement by moving the camera, but much of the camerawork felt imprecise to me.

Any pan or tilt should start with a static shot, make the movement and end with a static. In a number of instances you seemd to overshoot the end slightly. Unless you're actually tracking a moving object, a tilt/pan should also be in one direction only - some of the shots seemed to "hose" a bit.

By no means were these BAD. We've seen and will continue to see far worse, but I feel you could benefit from perhaps rehearsing the ran/tilt a few times before committing to tape (or disc or card).

I'm particularly rubbish at these sorts of shots (not aided by the lousy Velbon PH-358 tripod head) and I'll often shoot the same pan/tilt several times in the hope I'll have a usable one.

As for the music, I can't stand that particular piece (probably because all the girls loved it when I was a teen) but this type of film is always a choce between that or the standad, "Autumn Leaves" (which is a much better tune but even more overused)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm particularly rubbish at these sorts of shots (not aided by the lousy Velbon PH-358 tripod head) and I'll often shoot the same pan/tilt several times in the hope I'll have a usable one.
    I have the PH-368 which usually works fine for me. What problems do you have with yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As for the music, I can't stand that particular piece (probably because all the girls loved it when I was a teen) but this type of film is always a choice between that or the standad, "Autumn Leaves" (which is a much better tune but even more overused)
    What is it with people holding on to childhood issues. Just let it go Tim.

as ever, stirling advice and much appreciated. this was shot in an afternoon with no real plan (obviously LOL ! ) making the most of the sun when it appeared agreed, a lot of the shots are samey .... the first edit i did was to the little known track from Coldcut - When Autumn Leaves Fall, a cool track and the one i had in mind as i was shooting, unfortunatley the pace just wasnt right ! hence the use of the perhaps over used and cliche'd Forever Autum.

thanks again for your observations

whats an hose pipe shot BTW ??

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post

whats an hose pipe shot BTW ??
    When someone waters their garden with a hose they tend to move the end of the hose (lens) back and forth over the same bit of grass (the subject) in a random kind of way.

Its the favoured technique for holiday footage

Tim called it hosing which is more correct.

You only did a tiny amount, more of a quick flick at the urinal, than a full watered vegetable patch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I have the PH-368 which usually works fine for me. What problems do you have with yours?
    It's as stiff as a [insert analogy of very stiff thing of your choice]. This is a well documented "feature" of the 358 with no known cure. They just stiffen up with age - much like me (one body part excepted which is going the other way)

The 368 doesn't suffer it.

I'd order one but I don't want to risk half measures - particularly with something that'll last a lifetime so I'm waiting the opportunity to smuggle a Manfrotto 501 HDV onto my shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

What is it with people holding on to childhood issues. Just let it go Tim.
    I try, honest I do, but there are just some things (like Barry Manilow) that are too painful a memory.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast