Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our first Music Video

1. Default Our first Music Video

Well here it is, our first music video. Indeed our first experience with a camcorder/ photography/ video editing!!
    We recorded the Death by Guitar album in Sarah's box room last year & decided a new challenge would be to make videos to accompany the songs.
    We know the video is amateurish in many departments & we have to thank some lovely guys on this forum for helping us out every time we got stuck & giving us encouragement.
    To be honest without this forum the project would probably not have even got off the ground.

We have had a great time making it & learnt an awful lot in the process.
    Any opinions would be welcome so we can do better with the next one which we hope to start imminently.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELUCmHiiRbE]YouTube - Death by Guitar - Banging Away[/ame]

Congrats on your first music video!

I liked it. Bright, simple and it kept my attention through out!

Well done!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Thats really VERY accomplished - ESPECIALLY for your first effort - which from seeing all your pleas for help here I believe it is. Be proud girls. Great Job!

Blog Entries

It feels like it's been a long ride but that's a great video. Yeah so some people here have helped a bit with some technical stuff, but the ideas and excecution are all your own and you deserve all the credit.

After the first verse I did worry that it would all become a bit samey, but you managed to keep the interest by continually introducing new images and treatments.

I thought it was done with great humour. I think you were wise to avoid jus images of the band - that would quickly become boring and thechoice of still images not only complemented the song, but balanced the video visually as well. Some of the stuff in the background was hilarious ("Comfy Slippers"). The inclusion of Adam and especially Wilfred Brambell as some alternative live action really made the piece.

I think it might have benefitted from a few more varied shots of the band - some different angles and where were the close-ups? Surely you're not that shy?

I've never done any myself but I thought the green screen, whilst not perfect was pretty good.

I particularly liked the coloured panel background & countdown around the 1min mark.

The weakest pasts for me (not saying they're wrong - just didn't appeal) were the "sliding" forward and backward of Alison and the ending (where images drop out) which just seemed a bit like you were rushing to get the job finished and didn't give it quite as much thought as the rest.

The song itself is very catchy and so simple both in idea and structure you can't help but think you've heard it before (That's not a criticism by the way - none less than Sir Paul of McCartney earned a crust by writing songs that could be described as such)

It makes a pleasant change for a pop video featuring women to be neither gloomy goth nor almost "skin flicks" (though if you need a cameraman for a shoot in that style, I'm sure there are plenty here who'd offer their services)

No you're not the "pair of teenagers" that you were worried that you had been mistaken for in your first posts, your lyrics and humour are far too mature. But it's clear there's still a whole lot of a teenage sense of fun left in all of you.

Great Job
    Tim

I've been waiting with baited breath for some time now. In fact it's probably the most anticipated video on the forum. What a fantastic video. I'm not patronising you. I thought it was excellent. I watched it 3 times in a row. Martin is a real star. What a good sport. So who's dad is he ?

There was so much going on but not in a confusing way but from a point of keeping interest you did very well. I know just how much work has gone into it and you can be really proud. I liked the little jokes that ran throughout the video.

The only point I think you might revisit is the end. Something about it just didn't quite sit right for me. Ok I gave it a 4th viewing. I don't know if this was done deliberately but Sarah and Allison looked very pale compared to the rest of the talent. Thats about as critical as I can get.

Well done to all.

Well done folks that is a very good video indeed. The song is really good and you manage to tell a story. I agree with all the comments already made. The ending is not quite right and it needs some sound there also. Apart from that the only other tweak I would suggest is the titles that were in the red font. The look of them was not up to the same standard as the rest.

Cracking effort Grommet. Can't wait for the next one.

PS your all little hotties as well, not the chaps of course

7. Default

Well that's some tremendously positive feedback! We feared the video would be rubbished, particularly technically.
    Thank you all very much for commenting, & many thanks Tim for your in depth reply.
    We zoomed in & out on Allison to destroy any illusion we had simply shot the whole band together. Because the reality was, having limited space we had to film everyone individually & work hard to create the illusion of the band playing together, if that makes any sense?
    Unfortunately the cheap tripod kept sticking everytime we tried to move the camcorder & it kept jerking , so the zooms were terrible.
    We had to ask Martin who Wilfrid Bramble was & he explained about Steptoe & Son & said he felt honoured at such a comparison.
    We feel humour will always be a part of what we do. It's a good way of distracting people from the fact we're 3 mature extremely amateur women video makers!

Sarah & Allison & Tina

8. Default

Thank you Shrimpfarmer & Midnight Blue for your great feedback!
    The end was put on solely for this forum! We've always been curious what other members look like & thought as we've had so much help here we would identify ourselves. We dont look bad for women in their forties! We do intend removing the ending .
    But the way the song ends was a reaction to your typical slick 'MTV' video, we decided we wanted to let everything drop out & show we were amateurs & proud of it!
    Martin is not currently admitting to being any one's dad!

Sarah & Allison & Tina
    Last edited by Sarah & Allison; 11-07-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    We dont look bad for women in their forties! We do intend removing the ending .
    C'mon now. Shrimpy's already said you're hotties. No need to fish for more compliments.
    As it happens I'm a real beefcake and any video of me that has slipped out is really my brother, Walter Plinge.
    Tim

I look a bit like Brad Pit only much better looking . Its the main reason why I don't appear in my own films because I get so much fan mail it could bring the site down.

Midnight's the ugly one around here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast