Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waste & Recycling - don't get me started

Blog Entries

Default Waste & Recycling - don't get me started

So as to avoid completely hijacking Shrimpy's intolerence to timewasters thread I though I'd have my own gripe about bin men here.

So, now we have three or four bins.
    1. Recyclable waste (cardboard, some plastic [that's not at all confusing is it?], paper, tins, glass [but not all glass - confusing again]) collected fortnightly
    2. Non-Recyclable household waste - collected fortnighly
    3. Garden waste (optional pay-for extra) - collected fortnightly
    4. And the latest - Food Waste - collected weekly
    OK so week one of the food waste and the bin men didn't collect our food waste on the Thursday when expected. It was in the right place but may have been obscured from one angle by the recycling waste which was also in the right place.

They've collected everyone else's in the road so an astute Mrs S phone's up council on the same day, to be told - very sorry, we'll get on to the contractors and it'll be collected within 48 hours.

Of course this is Thursday so I'm assuming this 48 hours is already going to mean 96 hours because of something called the weekend.

The weekend duly passes and because we now have food waste which is a week and a half old I phone up the council on the Monday morning and am reassured that the collection is sheduled for that day.

By now, of course, the food waste from out family of 5 will not fit in the tiny bins provided and the biodegradable liners into which we are forced to place our food waste are no protection from Brer Fox and are beginning to show signs of biodegrading.

Guess what.
    So Tuesday morning I'm on to the council again. Apologetic I'll get onto it and call you back. I get back from work Tuesday afternoon - nothing.

I phone again. Very sympathetic lady who's almost overkeen to pass me on to her manager which she does.

I make the point to him that I'm totally stuffed because even if I was to produce more CO2 by driving to the the local tip/recycling centre - they no longer have somewhere one can dispose of food waste! Something which he doesn't dispute.

He's very concerned and promised a call back (it won't be today as it's now gone 4). He even gives me his name.

The next day I'm off to work early and get back about 5. No call!

As the following day is Thursday and we're due another collection I give up. Fortunately my father lives locally and alone so I take my food waste around to fill up his bin.

End of that particular rant.

Bin men in general. Arrogant. My next door neigbour regularly doesn't have his recycling bin collected. It's always in the right place. Mrs S has even seen the bin men look in it and then leave it.

Do they leave it because it's over full? Do they leave it because he's put the wrong sort of plastic in it? Who knows? Nobody tells him. He just phones up the council and they come round and collect it a couple fo days later. Who benefits from that?????

And they throw their cart around our residential cul-del-sac like one of those boy racer videos that keep getting posted. We have kids playing in the street FFS!

This week I happened to be at home as they collected. Recycling and food. Man comes round and empties food into bigger bin. No problem. Except he throws down neighbours bin which bounces into his hedge (and he leaves it). Our own bin lands right way up, next to or recycling bin. Another bloke comes and yanks our recycling bin away. When he returns it he dumps it virtually on to of our food bin sending that sideways (which he leaves).

Obviously these bins have a limited life. But when they break who has to pay for the replacement? Not the bin men.

Of course it wasn't raining this week so it didn't matter if they closed the lids on the bins. When it IS raining they are much more careful in ensuring that every bin lid is left open - presumably so that the rain can wash them out.

And this is to say nothing of the trail of refuse they leave behind them when they fail to get it all into the back of the truck.

I'm all for efficiency. And if efficiency means sub-contracting waste collection that's fine with me.

But it is NOT efficient when the people you complain to have no direct communication with the people who do the work. I suspect any real complaints are only dealt with at an annual review or even worse less frequently when the sub-contractor's contracts are up for renewal.
    Tim

I hear you brother.

You already know my story. I got a call back from the refuse supervisor this morning. I said the lads did the right thing because it was mixed waste. I know it was mixed I had to put the bottles and cans into something and all I had was a cardboard box.

He insisted that they can only take cardboard if it is flattened. Well fine they could have emptied the box into the truck left the boxes and I could have flattened them read for collection in a couple of weeks.

What is the world coming to when the play with your mind like this. Then put spy chips in the bins just to make you paranoid.

Blog Entries

Bring back Curly Watts
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    What is the world coming to when the play with your mind like this. Then put spy chips in the bins just to make you paranoid.
    It could be worse. They might next install Video Surveillance cameras to watch you when you take out the rubbish.

Toss the wrong thing into the wrong bin and the recycling police will swoop down on you. You are led away handcuffed in your bathrobe and hauled before a magistrate. The Prosecution shows the video as evidence. Cries of, "Shame, shame" erupt around the courtroom. Then, to your astonishment, the prosecution presents more video footage (from cameras you didn't even know were watching you), and begins to detail your carbon footprint crimes against environmentally correct society.

He presents people's evidence "A," the 100 watt incandescent light bulb you were observed using to read books in your study.

"But the energy saving fluorescent light hurts my eyes," you plead, as outside the courtroom the villagers are gathering with pitchforks and torches.....

Sorry, I got carried away. But I just got a great idea for a movie.

I am dreading the arrival of food waste bins. No sign of them yet down here but you just know they are coming.

It makes you wonder just how much the population will actually take before we take to the streets. I imagine there is still a long way to go but imagine you heard that some people were going to get together down at the town hall to complain about the bin service. Would you be tempted to join in?

I have been on plenty of demonstrations but always dressed in blue with a silly hat. I have often felt like joining in with the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I have been on plenty of demonstrations but always dressed in blue with a silly hat. I have often felt like joining in with the other side.
    It's good to know you haven't all been brain washed.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's good to know you haven't all been brain washed.
    No evidence of brainwashing but I think I can feel a chip just under my skin at the base of my skull. I am sure its some sort of wifi receiver. Its funny, I never noticed it was there until I took the red pill......

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    Toss the wrong thing into the wrong bin and the recycling police will swoop down on you.
    They're already hear.

Shrimpy, just put a strong magnet at the base of your skull this will damage to chip so that can't control you. Then when you go to bed put on a tin foil hat

Thanks for that advice Midnight, brilliant. I have just made a complete set of tin foil underpants, socks and vest, and of course the hat. I have just been up the town shopping. They can't control my mind but I seem to be setting off the shop lifting alarms.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Thanks for that advice Midnight, brilliant. I have just made a complete set of tin foil underpants, socks and vest, and of course the hat. I have just been up the town shopping. They can't control my mind but I seem to be setting off the shop lifting alarms.
    I would recommend Vaseline for those tin foil underpants. The chaffing can be brutal.

I've got a long drive down south now so I'm off till tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast