Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Brown & the art of public speaking

Default Gordon Brown & the art of public speaking

I just watched Gordon deliver his speech as to why we are in Afghanistan, and why we are going to stay. I really wanted to listen to this explanation, which our nation desperately needs. After about 5 minutes he just lost me. It was as if I had taken a whole pack of sleeping tablets and my mind was incapable of keeping focus.

Where are his speech writers, the expert communicators, spin doctors or whatever you want to call them, whose job it is to help him to communicate in a manner that can be easily understood? Maybe he no longer trusts them or perhaps he shouts at them so much they no longer feel able to function.

I don't warm to Gordon at all, however I continually stand back and have to admire the sheer resilience of the man. Not in regard to his policies, but in the way he manages to keep functioning in what must be a miserable job at the moment.

For some reason the old joke, How can you tell if a politician is lying comes to mine. My politics is perhaps a little radical for this group so I will respectfully bow out of this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    My politics is perhaps a little radical for this group so I will respectfully bow out of this conversation.
    I don't mind radical. For years I was expected to suppress all individual thoughts on politics as we were supposed to be neutral. I now find 30 years worth of bile bubbling up that for some reason compels me to want to discuss what these buggers are doing.

Oh well, keep taking the tablets. Should I choose the red pill or the blue pill Somehow I think I have already swallowed the red pill........

Well Neo, I can only promise you the truth. Nothing more !!!!!!!! I love that film. there is so much truth in that movie, it takes a great number of views to get half of whats being said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    My politics is perhaps a little radical for this group so I will respectfully bow out of this conversation.
    Good idea, me too. A little bit off topic is okay but discussing politics is a sure way of raising blood pressure and has bugger-all to do with videomaking.

For those who really need to slag off Gordon Brown, Tacky Thatcher, Creepy Cameron and the ilk...

Argue With Everyone Political Forums

The Politics Forum

Politics Forum and Political Blog discussing and debating political and social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Somehow I think I have already swallowed the red pill........
    You're lucky, in the 80's it was a blue sepository.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 11-09-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Good idea, me too. A little bit off topic is okay but discussing politics is a sure way of raising blood pressure and has bugger-all to do with videomaking.
    Thats why I asked if we could post anything here in the where is the water cooler thread. I appreciate that some people don't want to discuss such matters and I respect that. I do however but I shall desist from doing it here if it causes offence. If the moderators wish to remove this post and my latest regarding Gordon brown's handwriting skills please do so I shall not be offended.

Shrimpy

Blog Entries

In my opinion, and just my opinion, politics is such a personal subject that it causes more aggro than it's worth. Recycling, women videographers and even religion rarely raise the blood pressure that much but politics...

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    In my opinion, and just my opinion, politics is such a personal subject that it causes more aggro than it's worth. Recycling, women videographers and even religion rarely raise the blood pressure that much but politics...
    I think it depends upon the forum and the people who use it. I frequent a number, all of which do allow politics and anything else for that matter to be discussed. There is only one of them where it gets out of hand and I totally agree that is undesirable however the people there actually enjoy that. The best action then is for moderators to either pull or lock the thread. Just because other forums do allow it, is no basis for it to happen here of course.

I post such things because I like to get others views on the subject, it helps to keep me sane. Sometimes I do want others to be involved, e.g. sign a petition or something. Its always obvious when there is no interest because it just gets no replies.

Thanks for the links, there useful.

It is a shame if everything here has to be related to video though. My opinion is that having an area where you can discuss things that are on your mind, tell a joke, ask for help on anything helps a forum.

Your one of the forums Elders Gaffer, so a comment from you packs a lot of weight.

Blog Entries

"One of the elders" maybe but it is only my opinion that politics should be avoided in Videoforums. I'm not advocating that politics should be banned, just that it might not be a good idea to use this forum for political discussion.

Unless you really want me to pontificate on how that bitch Thatcher destroyed the UK film industry, almost decimated armed forces, then cynically climbed onto their dead bodies to use the Falkland Campaign to get elected. tThen reducing moral in the Met Police to the lowest possible with her political interventions and crime figure manipulating. Finally imposing more restrictions (D notices) on the BBC than any other government before or since.

At the end of the 80s people were begging me not to join their industry since whatever I joined, Thatcher crippled!

You may knock Brown but we've had it a lot worse than it is now.

Well I'm just a young pup so my view will barley register on the scale BUT I think it shouldn't matter what we talk about in this section of the forum. OR we should have an off topic, water cooler type of area where we can spout off about anything we want. Within the realms of good taste and decency.

We have just remembered those who sacrificed everything so we could live in a free country and have free speech. We are loosing these rights at every turn these days so if we can keep one corner of a forum that will for ever be a part of England.....Screeeeeech of breaks.

Oh dear, I seem to have gone off on one.

I see now why Gaffer is so respected in these forums. He is quite usually right about what he posts. Politics can be touchy subject but we are all or mostly adults here, I think we can be trusted to speak to each other in respectful ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast