Thread: Advice needed

1. Thumbs up Advice needed

Hi all im new here so please be patient lol, I am fairly new to the wedding video business in fact i am only be going for a couple of months but i already have done a few jobs and have 12 bookings for 2010 however i would like to join a organization such as apv or iov My question is do you have to be a well Established company or can newbies join and submit work to gain use of their logo
    Many Thanks in advance for any help given

Hi Preston and welcome. Newbies are always welcome and treated gently at the wonderful world of wedding video . . . it's only the newbies who think they're reinventing the wheel, (then throw tantrums when it's pointed out we've all been there), that receive short shrift.

You've done very well in such a short time to have the prebooked work you have.
    Establishing a unique style and presentation is essential and will allow you to charge premium prices once you have this key ingredient.

Membership of the APV or IOV is open to everyone, but qualification is needed before you are allowed to use their logo.
    I've been a member of both, qualified to MM at the IOV and Award of excellence at the APV. Found the APV a more relaxed and friendly place though.
    The member's forums and networking between members is useful for tips and helping each other out.

Whichever you choose, Best of luck!!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

3. Default Thank you

tnk you for the sound advice i am greatful for your time, i know this business can be slow to get a good rep but i do believe that if you have enough passion for what you do then you will get there in the end

As Zero says, just joining the IOV doesn't allow you to use their logo - but they now have a 'lower' level of qualification - Associate - which involves answering a whole load of multiple choice questions. If you pass this, and it really isn't difficult, then you can use their logo.

I guess from your name, you're based in Preston? I'm in Leyland - the local IOV currently meets in St Helens.