Thread: Producers Block

1. Lightbulb Producers Block

I keep coming up with ideas for movies and documentaries but they never seem to stick. I seem to be over one idea just as soon as it comes to me. Anyone have any advice on how to come up with a concrete idea and stick with it?

Blog Entries

What you're experiencing is part of the process. Don't see it as something negative, those ideas which fade quickly are usually not that good anyway.

Producing movies/films/videos from scratch is a lot more difficult than people think, that's why I'm not a producer. However, I have a whole family who are/is (grammar?).

Re-visit those projects which you dropped and look at what went sour. Often it's a case of "nah, it wouldn't have been that interesting". Use this to assess future projects. The difference between a proper producer and someone like me is that the proper producer puts effort into all of the project, not just the interesting bits. It is hard work being a producer that's why, if it goes right, the producer is the one who goes on the stage to collect the Oscar for Best Film.

In the same way you don't always have to complete a project. Researching, test shoots, rehearsals, screen tests etc. etc. are all part of the learning process and nothing you do is a waste of time. Even if it goes wrong, you know what not to do next time.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 11-06-2009 at 09:05 AM.

3. Default

Thanks so much for the suggestion. It is probably better that i lose interest in a bad idea before i get knee deep into it, rather then quit mid production.

Quote Originally Posted by videonoob2233 View Post
    I keep coming up with ideas for movies and documentaries but they never seem to stick. I seem to be over one idea just as soon as it comes to me. Anyone have any advice on how to come up with a concrete idea and stick with it?
    You are not alone. And, as the Gaffer says, this is just part of the creative process.

I can't tell you how many ideas I have had that were tossed by the wayside because of sleeping on the idea and waking up to put reality into perspective. Being able to think in the abstract and conceive scenes in your mind is a gift you should be thankful for, but it can also be a curse at the same time. Famous big-time directors think the same way. The difference between us and them is that they have the experience in working through this process. And that has now led them to the place where they have the funding to fully make their dreams a visual reality. Keep dreaming.