Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And the winner is...

Blog Entries

Default And the winner is...

Following a heated discussion amongst the judging panel, we are pleased to announce Alan Mills as the winner of the (late) summer video contest 2009. Congratulations Alan on weaving 3:33 so expertly into your entry!

Well done Alan. I can't believe I didn't win. Is there an appeals process I'll be ready for the next one

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Well done Alan. I can't believe I didn't win. Is there an appeals process I'll be ready for the next one

Me too!

4. Default

Congratulations Alan!

I suppose as Alan was the only one that really had a 3:33 link to the video he deserved to win.

Note to self, next time read the rules.

Yes I agree at least he followed the plot. When I saw all the other entries I was going to submit three minutes of East Enders

Your all winners in my book, lovely lovely people with a good sense of humour. What more could we ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Yes I agree at least he followed the plot. When I saw all the other entries I was going to submit three minutes of East Enders

Your all winners in my book, lovely lovely people with a good sense of humour. What more could we ask for.
    Is Shrimpy getting all "lovey" on us.

Blog Entries

Whilst Alan's film was the only one which really fitted the bill as far as interpreting 3:33 goes, I'd hate to think it was dismissed as winning purely on that basis.

It was a great little film in its own right - a good plot, good script, well acted (in some cases anyway), well shot and well edited. A nice build up of suspense. And I like the way the gunshot wasn't actually seen - respect for the audiences intelligence.

The opening shot in particular deserves praise. Watch it again. Choreographing that shot was superb: We start with a medium two shot (if there is such a thing) with the camera to the actors right (from the camera's POV), then the camera moves around them to a wider shot of them getting into the car from the left. And all this happens whilst they walk. A great bit of steadycam work which looks very natural.

Well done Alan.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Whilst Alan's film was the only one which really fitted the bill as far as interpreting 3:33 goes, I'd hate to think it was dismissed as winning purely on that basis.

It was a great little film in its own right - a good plot, good script, well acted (in some cases anyway), well shot and well edited. A nice build up of suspense. And I like the way the gunshot wasn't actually seen - respect for the audiences intelligence.

The opening shot in particular deserves praise. Watch it again. Choreographing that shot was superb: We start with a medium two shot (if there is such a thing) with the camera to the actors right (from the camera's POV), then the camera moves around them to a wider shot of them getting into the car from the left. And all this happens whilst they walk. A great bit of steadycam work which looks very natural.

Well done Alan.
    I just watched it again and I certainly agree that there is far more to it than you think. A very worthy winner indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

Well done Alan.
    I want to push out special thanks to my good mate Tony Neal for this. We shot this using a Sony HDR-FX1E mounted on his personla Steadicam Merlin. Usually we use my Glidecam and Smooth Shooter but to save setup we chose to go with his Merlin. As well as being slightly less conspicuous it worked out so well. He's a wiz with both.

The onlyu thing missing from that shot is "The Funky Shorts Kid" mentioned in the title. While running that shot (plenty of times I might add) this young lad with enormous shorts came by and waited for his bus. His 'significant' shorts caused us some merryment

Did anyone notice I actually had two 333 links in the movie. One worked and the other (watch stopping on 3:33) was a a bit cheesey but hey I had to do it right?

Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 11-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast