Thread: Government petition re UK armed forces

Default Government petition re UK armed forces

This is a bit of politics so forgive me if its not allowed on the forum. Moderators remove please if appropriate.

I received an email from a friend this morning alerting me to a new government proposal to save money. A petition exists if you wish to sign it.

Disbandment of the British Forces Postal System

Just how low can this Government go? Stick it to the Military because they are not unionised?

Dear All

Want to save the BFPO System?

Petition to: reconsider the decision to remove British Forces Post Offices from mainland europe. | Number10.gov.uk

Please click on and sign the above petition. Though we all understand that defence cuts are to be made, this is an area which affects the families in particular. The BFPO system is the mechanism whereby post is received by our serving soldiers, sailors and airmen and their families abroad at a postal address recognised as being part of this country, no matter where in the world they are serving, even in war zones.

Amongst other things the loss of the BFPO service will disenfranchise them if they are postal voters; some credit card providers will not send cards abroad (M&S for example) whereas they will to a BFPO address; it may affect their ability to let their house whilst posted abroad, or away from home; it may take away their tax advantages such as being able to have an ISA whilst posted abroad. It will affect Open University students who have a BFPO address as they will be charged higher fees; it will potentially effect children of serving soldiers when they go to University, as they may not be eligible for student loans/fees to be paid, and will be charged higher fees as they live abroad. They will also be charged different rates for subscriptions etc as they will now have to come via local mail, and not the UK mail.

Thanks for supporting our servicemen and women together with their families in this way and please forward this email to as many of your friends as you can.

Shrimpy

I have to agree this is not ok. If they maybe just bought one less nuclear missile that would be enough of a saving to keep it going.

Blog Entries

I have a feeling this is another "Daily Mail" false rumour, which they have a habit of doing. I still have contact with a few mates in the forces and none of them have heard about this, nor has it been mentioned on any of the news wires.

Strikes me as yet another rumour started to get people ranting against the government and when it's pointed out that "There are no plans to disband the BFPO" either the Tories claim a victory or the press claim that people power prevented it.

Edit: At the moment there are 4636 petitions on this site, some of them are a real hoot!

FYI: On the British forces Post Office website Welcome to the Official British Forces Post Office Website there's nothing about threats, rumours or proposals to close the BFPO.

Furthermore the BAFF (British Army "Family and Friends") points out that some branch closures at NATO facilities are planned, as the bases themselves close or reduce, but the BFPO as an organisation will remain.

Sounds like what we used to call "Rumour Control" in action.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 11-05-2009 at 05:53 PM.

There is a little more information here

BFPO closures - BAFF | British Armed Forces Federation

Your right though, some of the petitions are fun to read. I bet the person who dreamed up the idea of the No 10 petition website as a pretend vehicle for people to have their say though gets kicked on a fairly regular basis.

I have seen first hand how politicians will do virtually anything to embarrass the opposition. I used to have to bite my tongue at various meetings at some of the outrageous statements they would make about each other. They would actually consider doing things that would be detrimental to the voters but improve their chance of re-election. Makes my skin crawl remembering it.

Blog Entries

Yup, as I thought, they're only closing a few offices at Nato HQs (since they're served very well by the regular post) and Bases will be unaffected.

As for politicians... don't get me started, I've lost count of how many of the slimeballs I've had in front of my lens over the years. If nothing else seeing Cameron in "real life" behind the scenes has convinced me never to vote Tory.

Read the Government’s response

The Government remains fully committed to providing efficient and effective postal service to our armed forces, especially those serving on operations.
    The Ministry of Defence is making some changes to the way BFPO services operate in order to ensure we make best use of military manpower and to ensure the service is delivered in the most efficient way possible. The drawdown of the BFPO personnel supporting the UK military in the NATO headquarters in SHAPE, Brussels, Brunssum, Ramstein, Stavanger, Karup, Rome, Milan, Lisbon, Valencia and Norfolk Virginia should achieve a saving in excess of 1M per annum. The drawdown is scheduled to be completed by September 2010, by which time we aim to have in place alternative arrangements.
    These changes relate to the BFPO personnel supporting the UK military population in a limited number of non-operational locations and all in countries with efficient domestic postal services. In order to minimise the impact on personnel and their dependants stationed at affected locations, the BFPO numbers, which are useful for administrative purposes such as proving status, banking and internet shopping, will be retained.
    In addition, having taken into account the administrative disadvantages that the changes to the BFPO service could have on personnel and their dependants, some British Forces Post Office services will now be retained in a number of other NATO HQs. While Armed Forces personnel will no longer fulfil these functions and some counter services will cease from September 2010, the changes will enable civilians and, in some cases, Service dependants to take up local employment running a basic postal receipt and despatch facility.
    These changes will have no impact on postal services to troops deployed on operations. In particular, the Enduring Free Mail Service out to operational theatres will not be affected.