Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - damaged roof !!!

Default Help needed - damaged roof !!!

Does anyone here know anything about roofs ? I have just been round the side of my house and found that a section has just dropped of the end of mine Its obviously been leaking for sometime as having gone up on a ladder the bloody wood is rotten.

I know nothing about building. Anyone got any suggestions as to which trade I need, a roofer or a builder and what to look out for? I will try and find one through trading standards recommended scheme.

As for a temporary repair to stop further water getting in I propose to drape a plastic sack over it, weighted down with bricks on top and taped to the wall.

Here is a video I would rather not have to post that shows the damage. Anyone know the names of the bits that are damaged, it would help me explain it to a builder over the phone.

Sorry to hear about that Shrimpy. I'm a bit like you when it comes to building. I know the White bits are called the fascia board. I'm not sure if the rotting wood is the rafters or the battens I would have thought it was the battens as they support the roof tiles. A roofer could do the repair. I just hope it's not as bad as it looks in the video.

Good luck.

I have got someone coming to have a look at it tomorrow so its going to stay the way it is at the minute. It does look blooming awful though. I have just learnt from someone else that you should never coat wood with upvc as its that which rots the wood? I had it done years ago so I hope the rest is not like that underneath. All the bits in the video are external and looking in my loft all the beams look sound in there. Fingers crossed.

Blog Entries

Film them and any others that come. Then if they do a bad job you can sell the footage to rogue traders.
    Now that gives me an idea with some footage I shot last year.....
    Tim

I have just rigged it so that some bricks fall on him as he climbs the ladder. That way I can submit it to youve been framed as well.

Thanks for naming those bits, thats useful. Yep fingers crossed I should know more tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm. Sound by Atmosphere it seems. Perhaps it's not so good if I can immediately distinguish it.
    Tim

Blog Entries

You definately should have used a tripod or crane in the video

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hmmmm. Sound by Atmosphere it seems. Perhaps it's not so good if I can immediately distinguish it.
    Thats its Stannard your off the bloody christmas list.

I hope this doesn't take away your stills camera budget.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast