Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optical illusion

Default Optical illusion

I was out practising with my new camera last night, I was getting some time laps footage of the moon and the sky etc. While I was setting up an aeroplane flew across the sky just under the moon. There is an interesting optical illusion. It looks as though it just scrapes the bottom of the moon as the lights flash just at the right moment.

I just thought I'd share it with you guys and ask if you have any examples of this kind of being in the right place at the right time/optical illusion kind of shots

Wow, I bet you couldnt believe your luck when that happened. It would make a good signature at the start of a movie. I wonder how far you could zoom that footage to make it larger without losing too much quality? Slow it down a touch maybe

What is the power of your optical zoom then? My camera won't take shots like that, I tried.

Thanks for posting it.

Yes it was lucky. I have already enlarged it a bit and the footage is at 75% speed.

The optical zoom on the camera is12x.

There is a bit of post work done on it because if you set the exposer for the moon you loose the sky and if you set the exposer for the sky the you loose the detail in the moon. So I shot both settings and just overlaid the moon detail on top of the sky detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    There is a bit of post work done on it because if you set the exposer for the moon you loose the sky and if you set the exposer for the sky the you loose the detail in the moon. So I shot both settings and just overlaid the moon detail on top of the sky detail.
    I learn something new every day. Maybe my camera can take shots like that then if I do the same. I will give it a try,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    So I shot both settings and just overlaid the moon detail on top of the sky detail.
    Clever. Wish I'd thought of that. And now I don't have to.
    It was very clear with a very bright moon last night and I was tempted to shoot for my own "stock footage". But then I though I've already sgot about half an hour of moon shots that I shot back in the spring. And anothetr half hour from two years ago...
    However your suggestion makes me want to dod it again
    Tim

Blog Entries

Just watched it. That is a FANTASTIC opening. Do what Shrimpy says and make that your signature.
    Change the sequence to show moon, plane then bring up the title (Midnight Blue Production, obviously)

How did you produce the text? (What techniques & software?) It's a great match.
    Tim

I would imagine that with something like after effects you could put a little stream behind the aircraft once its kissed the moon and have is send out tiny stars. Way cool.

Yes it would make a good movie opener for MBP. When I was shooting I heard the plane and hoped it was going to fly right across the moon so when it didn't I was a bit disappointed. It was only when I was looking back on my computer that I noticed the optical illusion.

I'm currently using a trial version of Edius 5, which is very limited in it's effects etc. It uses what they call quick titles, which is again very basic but it gives you the option of having multicoloured text. All you have to do is choose the colours you want in what order and it blends them together, just like most paintshop/photoshop programs will let you do. I then gave it a blurry shadow and thats it.

The key I think was to pick colours that existed in the original footage. This by the way is not colour altered in any way as part of the practising I'm doing is trying to get the image I want from the camera using manual settings without "cheating" in post.

Blog Entries

Well it's a very nice gradient effect. Nice to see someone using another of the "lesser known" excellent NLEs.
    Tim

I'm actually working my way through as many as I can. I was (to my shame) a Pinnacle man for years but now I can't use Pinnacle with the files my camera produces so I have to find a new NLE that is in my price range that is also easy to use.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast