Thread: Unable to capture media with Vegas Studio 9.

Default Unable to capture media with Vegas Studio 9.

Hi,

This is my first post and also my first attempt to edit video using Vegas Studio 9. We have just returned from a trip and I downloaded 20G of video footage from my Sony video camera to my PC. This was done using Windows Media Player as I just couldn't get Vegas Studio to do it! Now I have the files on the PC in MPEG format. However, when I start to use Vegas Studio 9 to capture the files for editting, it won't co-operate and gives me this message - 'Warning - An error occurred while opening one or more files. The item was not found.'

I strongly suspect that this is not the fault of Vegas Studio but mine. Bottom line - what am I doing wrong and how can I correct it?

Thank for any assistance.

Blog Entries

OK basics first.
    "MPEG format" is very vague indeed. Download GSpot and open one of the files in it. This'll tell you (us) lots more about the files you've downloaded.

Also, what camera? I believe Sony make more than one
    How did you try to transfer the files using Vegas?
    And can you play back the files (video and audio) in any other programs? Windoews Movie Maker? Windows Media Player?

Please respond with the info and we'll proceed from there.
    Tim

Thanks for the quick reply. The camera is a Sony HandycamDCR-SR47. I have tried to open the files using Windows Media Player without any success. As suggested, I downloaded GSpot and opened one of the video files in it. The codec is MPEG2 and the 'Status' underneath this reads 'Codec(s) are NOT installed. The 'Container' field reads 'DVD "VOB" Format MPEG-2 Program Stream << {1 vid 1 aud} Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR'.

Do you nedd any more info from the GSpot file analysis?

Sorry about being 'vague' but this is all very new to me.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting that info. Very useful. I see the camera records MPEG2 to hard disk or Memory Stick. It's rather odd that the container is VOB - that container is used for DVD video files!

Anyway, as you've probably guessed the clue is in the fact that the codec is not installed. (codecs are the algorythms used in enCODing and DECoding (also COmpressing/DECompressing) video and audio.)

First thought - was there any software in the box? If so install it - even if you have nmo intention of using it - as that may install the necessary codec.

If that doesn't work ...

Try downloading codec packs (Google "klite" which is often recommended.

OR. Looking at the Operating guide it seems that the enclosed software (PMB) is designed to enable you to copy files to your PC and then burn DVDs. (This may be why they are appearing in GSpot as VOBs). So here's one convoluted way of doing what you want.

Follow the instructions in the Operating Guide to copy you files to your PC and then burn it to DVD.
    Close PMB.

Open Sony Vegas and a new project.

Chose File | Import | DVD Camcorder Disc (I know this is a standard DVD and not one created on a camcorder, but it amounts to the same)

Let it convert/import the DVD and away you go.

Let us know how you get on.
    Tim