Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really basic: Overwriting &/or Adding to a DVD

Default Really basic: Overwriting &/or Adding to a DVD

I am ready to burn the first year of a five year garden project to a DVD. I would like to
    (1)overwrite an existing DVD and
    (2) need to know how to add further years to the DVD once I have completed editing them.
    The DVDs are RW +/- and I have done my editing using WMM.
    Thank you in advance to anyone who can help with this very basic problem - in fact it's so basic I cannot find the answer to it anywhere.
    PegMac

You can overwrite a RW disk (it will erase first so all previous data will be lost)
    You cannot add/append to a DVD, unless it is just normal data (Data Disk)

Either make new disks as you go along making a set or keep all original files on HDD and append at end to make final DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    You can overwrite a RW disk (it will erase first so all previous data will be lost)
    You cannot add/append to a DVD, unless it is just normal data (Data Disk)

Either make new disks as you go along making a set or keep all original files on HDD and append at end to make final DVD
    Thank you for your reply. I am really disappointed that I cannot add to the DVD. Can I store the finished part of my project on an external hard drive and 'store' it there until I need it. Will it be OK to retrieve it from there or does it need to be on the hard drive of the PC that has WMM on it?

I am grateful for your help.

Pegmac

Quote Originally Posted by PegMac View Post
    Can I store the finished part of my project on an external hard drive and 'store' it there until I need it. Will it be OK to retrieve it from there or does it need to be on the hard drive of the PC that has WMM on it?

Pegmac
    On a five year project you would need to store all your files on two hard drives or a hard drive and a data DVD/s so that you have a backup. It would be best practice to store a copy at a secondary location if possible. You can re-assemble a new DVD for playing with the footage on any drive (hard or optical) without problems. They do not need to be on the same hard-drive, and, in fact, will probably render faster if on a seperate drive.

HIH

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    On a five year project you would need to store all your files on two hard drives or a hard drive and a data DVD/s so that you have a backup. It would be best practice to store a copy at a secondary location if possible. You can re-assemble a new DVD for playing with the footage on any drive (hard or optical) without problems. They do not need to be on the same hard-drive, and, in fact, will probably render faster if on a seperate drive.

HIH
    Thank you once again for your help.

I would like to clarify that the footage covers five years (transforming a garden from a wilderness) and not that it will take me five years to complete the editing - at least I hope not.

I have done something really stupid and I am going to be brave and share it with the rest of the world. If it stops even one person doing what I did then it will be worth while!!

I rendered (I think that is the correct term for burning the footage to DVD) the first year of the project and thought I could use that as my backup if anything went wrong. (Can you believe this? Now that realisation has dawned I cannot believe I was so stupid!!)

Fortunately I had the edited footage saved under three different names on my laptop so after receiving your message and the malfunction in my brain had been fixed I was then able to save the footage to my external hard drive which is 350Gb and has about 250Gb still free.

I had been told by someone, who should have known better, to split the years and work on them year at a time. I now know I will have to tack, subsequent years onto the end of the edited one. In fact I have already done this.

I had mistakenly thought that I could complete year one, render it, complete year two and add it to my DVD but as you have pointed out that is not possible - all years have to go on DVD together.

I am not sure how many years I will get on one DVD (if each year is 12 to 15 minutes long) but that will be trial and error.

So I can vouch for the saying 'you are never too late to learn' and I am so grateful to have access to this forum and also to the people like you who freely give advice to 'novices' like myself. Thank you again for your help. I will keep you posted.

PegMac

You're welcome, and good luck with the wilderness!

You should be able to get a good render for 2 hours on a DVD.

You can still render out a year at a time and then have themas chapters/scenes on the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    You should be able to get a good render for 2 hours on a DVD.

You can still render out a year at a time and then have themas chapters/scenes on the DVD
    That's good to know that I can get about 2 hrs on a DVD.

Now to the next bit - I do not understand what you mean when you say you can render a year at a time. The way I understood it was if you put year 1 onto DVD that was all you could put on it because if you added another year it would erase the first year.

So, I do not understand what you mean when you say I could render a year at a time. Can I confirm that render is the term used to 'burn' the footage to DVD or have I got the wrong meaning?

I feel a bit of an idiot asking such basic questions, but like so many things nowadays helplines and instructions expect you to know more than I know.

Again I would be grateful for your advice.

Thank you

PegMac

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    You're welcome, and good luck with the wilderness!
    The work on the wilderness started on 2001 and it has been such a success it has been on TV in Scotland. The last part will be on next week but it is on the Gaelic Channel with subtitles. They actually used clips from my mini dv to show the 'before' & 'after'.

You have been very helpful but you probably haven't heard the last from me!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast