Thread: VHS to DVD conversion - File ridiculously large

Default VHS to DVD conversion - File ridiculously large

I'm using an Easycap DC60 to convert VHS to DVD, with Ulead Video Studio 10.

The problem is that the VHS tapes are minimum 1 - 2hrs long. Hence, the avi file for the first one that I captured was 67Gb.

Is there some setting I can change to reduce the size of the captured files, or do I have to use a compression tool. The quality of the VHS tapes isn't the best to start with...

Blog Entries

You have completed only the first step in the conversion process from an analogue to DVD. In order to convert to DVD, you will need to author a DVD using the DVD creation software that came with the device. This will convert your footage to MPEG and you will then be able to fit two hours onto a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    You have completed only the first step in the conversion process from an analogue to DVD. In order to convert to DVD, you will need to author a DVD using the DVD creation software that came with the device. This will convert your footage to MPEG and you will then be able to fit two hours onto a DVD.
    Thanks mate.

All I got with the device was Ulead Video Studio 10, so I'll play around with that. I also have DVDFlick & Nero Vision Essentials, in case I can't work that out...

But I don't see how converting it to mpeg while reduce the file size from 67Gb...

When I captured the video, I selected .avi as the output file type in Ulead. I could've selected mpeg instead, but the file size would be the same, no?

Will Ulead convert the mpeg or avi to smaller .vob files or something?
    Last edited by Cheese; 11-03-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Hi Cheese

Nope!! DV-AVI is normally an uncompressed format so yes the files are HUGE and nearly 70GB for a VHS tape is about right!!

MPEG2 (that's the format you will render the AVI file to) is a much more compressed format and to be practical you will fit around 80/100 minutes on a single layer DVD and double that on a DL DVD.

Use VS 10 to import the AVI file and then render to an MPEG2 video and it will be a lot smaller!!! However 2 hours of VHS footage probably will need 2 DVD's so you might have to spilt the file at a convenient point and render 2 x MPEG2 files ..one for each DVD

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    Hi Cheese

Nope!! DV-AVI is normally an uncompressed format so yes the files are HUGE and nearly 70GB for a VHS tape is about right!!

MPEG2 (that's the format you will render the AVI file to) is a much more compressed format and to be practical you will fit around 80/100 minutes on a single layer DVD and double that on a DL DVD.

Use VS 10 to import the AVI file and then render to an MPEG2 video and it will be a lot smaller!!! However 2 hours of VHS footage probably will need 2 DVD's so you might have to spilt the file at a convenient point and render 2 x MPEG2 files ..one for each DVD

Chris
    Thanks!!!

6. Default

Hi Cheese,

I just finished converting all my VHS tapes to DVD using Easycap and Ulead Video Studio 10 for some of them. I found that a movie off a tape wouldn't fit onto a DVD, they were nothing like 67Gb though only just too large to fit and I didn't want to have to use DVD Shrink so I played around in the options setting of Video Studio and cut the bitrate (I think) back from 8000 to 7000 and that reduced the filesize sufficiently without degrading the quality any further.
    I found it was a lot faster to connect the VCR to my TV DVD recorder and record tapes directly to rewritable DVDs, I then ripped those to my computer and edited the videos and then burned them to DVD.

I did find Video Studio completely useless for editing kept crashing and had to re-render everything, so I found MPEG Video Wizard DVD from Womble Multimedia and used it for editing and burning to DVD.

As I was only editing out adds and not using transitions and such it didn't re-render and to edit and burn a movie to dvd took less than an hour.

And in processing 50 tapes the editor never once had a clitch.

Hope this helps, as you should be able to fit a tape onto a DVD - well I did and I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about video editing as such.

Max

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was able to burn one of the files to dvd using Ulead VS10, but unfortunately there was only audio and no video.

Any suggestions/ideas why it might not have worked?

Meanwhile, I am going to try again....

Hi Cheese.

If the videos are only VHS quality to start with then my preferred method would be to make a DVD using a DVD recorder, you can then set the quality and length on the video by selecting the compression settings on the DVD Recorder to the quality you require, but 2 hours using VBR should come out fine, and then if you need to edit use Womble.

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Hi Cheese.

If the videos are only VHS quality to start with then my preferred method would be to make a DVD using a DVD recorder, you can then set the quality and length on the video by selecting the compression settings on the DVD Recorder to the quality you require, but 2 hours using VBR should come out fine, and then if you need to edit use Womble.

Bryan
    Unfortunately I don't have a dvd recorder. But thanks for the advice.