Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie w/ Canon Vixia HF11

Question Newbie w/ Canon Vixia HF11

Hello all,
    Been lurking through the forums here for a while ... I have a particular problem that some may have experienced..

I have the cam mentioned in the subject. I am trying to edit on my PC without much luck. I am running the following computer:

Vista Home Prem 64-bit
    Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.60 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    NVidia GForce 8800 GT 512 MB Video

I have been trying to edit my AVCHD video in multiple editing programs, including Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12, Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 (Trial), and Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 (Trial).

I have been disappointed with the speed and stability of editing in both the Pinnacle Studio and Elements. Premiere Pro is just OK. I feel like my system should support editing video without having to wait minutes for clips to load. In addition to long wait times, when I preview clips, or watch my current edit in the monitor, it freezes, then later tries to "catch up". This is annoying at best, in reality detremental to getting any real work done.

I am willing to invest in making this work if there are solutions. I know Pre Pro CS4 is optimized for 64-bit, so that may be my best bet, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put $800 into software.

But, if someone has a hardware/software platform that works GREAT for AVCHD editing, please let me know that--I would be willing to plunge into something that would really do the trick (I'm open to PC/Mac/Linux).....

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

Mike

Blog Entries

Good call with the HF11. There are a few Canonists here and I have fallen in love with my HF11.

I edit on an iMac and Final Cut. It works really well although don't expect instantanious transfer from your camcorder to hard-drive without some sort of converting. A few of the other AVCHD mob use Corel and seem more than happy with it.

Corel Multimedia Software - Home

Thanks Gaffer -- I'm really enjoying the camera. The slow transfers to the PC don't bother me, I just set that up and come back in a few hours. It's the editing that gets me down. I get frustrated just moving video around and trying to add sound.

With your iMac, do you have the latest i5 or i7 chip or would one of the new 21.5" iMac work ok with the Core2 duo? How much RAM do you have on your iMac?

Do you use Final Cut Pro or Express?

Cheers!

Mike

Blog Entries

My iMac is all bells and whistles but, more interesting is, I edit converted material (converted to apple hdv) with a macbook dual core 2ghz with 2gb ram... and it works!
    The macbook runs Final Cut Express and seems to cope okay. I do notice that the iMac (with 2x 2.55 Ghz and 4Gb ram) is much faster though.

If you're happy to work with hdv rather than the original AVCHD files, I don't think you'll need an octo-core 6Ghz, 24Gb ram turbo-charged machine.

Great - thanks for the info. I wonder if there is a similar conversion for PC -- I'm sure there is. Does the video quality degrade when you convert it? I wonder if on PC I could convert to AVI or similar without quality loss...

I was looking for an excuse to buy an octocore 6 Ghz 24 GB machine ... I'll have to find another reason to give to the wife...

Mike

You really should be able to do simple edits on AVCHD material with your system Mine is virtually the same setup but I have only 4GB of ram. I use Premier Elements 7. What is your hard disk setup ? I have my operating system (Win XP) on the C: drive, then 2 x 1TB Sata disks, one for the media, the other the scratch disk.

As for converting the AVCHD I use Free AVCHD converter from a company called Koyote Soft. Koyote Soft

I just checked their site and it does not seem to be there anymore. They list a new product called Free HD converter 1.4

Word of warning, the one I use loads up a toolbar in your browser when you install it. I hate software that does that. Knowing in advance it did that I just disconnected my internet connection before I ran the install. It didn't then install the toolbar. Others that use it report that its easy to remove the toolbar using the Windows remove programs tool.

Maybe worth a try before splashing out on the Mac, unless of course you have come up with a good excuse for the wife

Thanks a lot, Shrimpfarmer. So you aren't editing the AVCHD directly, but converting it? What type of file do you convert it to? I'll check out the software you mentioned.

Cheers!

Oh, and to answer your question--I have a single SATA 750 GB. Would a second drive help my cause?

And I am with you on the toolbars, by the way. Just fixed my father-in-law's netbook--he had so many toolbars that he couldn't read his e-mail in his browser any more!

Thanks again!

Mike

I have explained what I do in this other post http://www.videoforums.co.uk/avchd-h...d-editing.html

Because I cannot yet take full advantage of AVCHD, i.e. add the effects I want to, I have reverted to SD (using the AVCHD camera set to SD HQ mode. I normally just throw stuff up onto youtube so for that its no big deal.

If I do want an HD quality then I will shoot in AVCHD and edit it in Premier Elements 7 as AVHCD. I do not bother to convert. However, then I just pull all the clips onto the timeline and let the software render a low res version (by hitting Enter key). Come back after 20 minutes and I can edit the footage as if it was SD. The reason being is that PE7 just plays back the low res version whilst editing so its very fast to make simple edits. This only works however if you first put all the clips on the timeline and render them.

You can then export to a High Definition output of your choice. Although not as it should be, it is quite a painless experience.

As for hard disks. Yes they will make a big difference. There is a lot of work going on and if your running it all from the same disk that is going to be hard for your computer to handle. Especially if its AVCHD. SATA disks are nice and quick but be careful which type you buy if you decide to upgrade. I went for Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB drives. They are designed to handle digital video editing.

Let us know how you get on.

10. Default

Thank you very much - I will certainly try pulling the clips onto the timeline and letting it render. I think I will also try the hard drive upgrade. I am also thinking of upgrading the PC to Windows 7. Some folks I have talked to experience less issues with 7 than with Vista, even though it has not been on the market very long. I will definitely let you know how it goes!

md

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast