Thread: Very short scary movie.

Default Very short scary movie.

This little movie is just a simple and short ghost story. It was my first time making a movie.

Note:There is a small lapse in the video due to a lag on youtube for some reason. O_o I appologize for that.

I liked this movie.

The music is nicely eerie and the concept has real potential to be turned into a good story for a further film. To improve it further I would suggest that for the mirror scene, show the true reflection for a little while, get us feeling nice and settled as you shave using an establishing shot and then some closeups. Spend a few seconds establishing the true reflection as well so that we have no idea what is about to happen. Then either allow the ghost reflection to appear in shot whilst you don't realise its there or surprise us at the same time you look into the mirror at the spirit. The first builds audiencce anxiety, the second shocks the audience. In this episode the spirit appears too quickly.

I quite like the change in colour and contrast when the spirit takes hold at the mirror and the strident chord works really well. The heart beat is great and a good angle for the closeup of you with the razor. The fact that its a wet razor and there is no soap on your face lacks a little reality for me. It could also have been used to emphasise the difference between the live character and the spirit.

Are you using a split screen effect for the mirror shot when both characters are in view. For some annoying reason I cant get youtube to play the larger version of your film so its hard to tell on the small image. If you were then for maximum effect both characters need to be in shot. If you were not using such an effect then I can understand why we get the spirit on its own and the snarl.

Very nice cut and highlight of sound to you waking up. Its got to be difficult filming yourself but you make a good job of it. That sequence when you talk to camera is too dark. The final shot of the spirit behind you is good but again better lighting would have made it even better.

If that had been my first film I would have been delighted. Nice one True.

Blog Entries

MUCH better than your second (?) film. It still suffers from the dreadful fuzzy look (did you record on a webcam?) but the film is much "tighter", the plot far superior, the sound better and it just generates an "atmosphere".
    The biggest annoyance I had was with the shots of you ater you've woken up. You're looking toward screen right then this cuts to you looking towards screen left. This is confusing as opposing shots like tis are usually reserved for two people talking to each other. It wasn't helped by the significant difference in lighting between the two. A cutaway to a different shot between these two might improve matters, but I'd avoid showing a person in the same location from both sides (unless you have the facility to track around the person, so the viewer "sees" the change in angle - actually if you COULD do this, this would be just about the perfect shot to capture your reaction)

I agree with everything said by Shrimpy above though I think asking you to film with a true reflection first and then substitute the fake would be asking an awful lot. Getting the "look" of the real reflection and the fake reflection to look similar enough would be very difficult indeed.....
    ...Thinking about it, the best way to achieve this would be to record the "fake" as a reflection. Perfect match,. Job done!

Sorry I couldn't bring myself to comment on the second film.
    Tim

Thank you for the kind feedback. I use a cheap Kodak camera, so in order to clean up the film I have to duplicate the film and put it on creen with a motion blur. Other wise, It looks really low quality. Anyway I can improve this or find a cheap and good camera? (I basically work with a fairly low budget, I have a Kodak camera, a keyboard for music and I do most of the sound fx myself.)

To be honest, I spent a couple of days on this one. The other was pretty rushed.

Blog Entries

Any cheap MiniDV camera would, I suspect, give you a much better picture. As everyone is going HD there are plenty to be had on eBay. Avoid the "no-name" cameras and go for a Canon, Panasonic, Sony, JVC.
    Tim