Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of short pieces I have created.

Default A couple of short pieces I have created.

The first video is about a typical emo kid who wants to introduce a metalhead to his form of music. It's not in the best of taste, so I really want to avoid anyone getting offended by this video.

Edited:
    Sorry to stop you there truegamenerd> Please re-post your second video in a new thread. That's the rules - ONE VIDEO PER THREAD.

(Not for any reason other than talking about more than one video in one thread rapidly becomes very confusing)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 11-01-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Truegamenerd

Hey that's a catchy name! Ok so I watched your video all the way through. It made me chuckle once but then again its not my kind of humour. Don't worry about that because you would probably die of boredom at what I find funny.

So, how can it be improved. I would make the characters more over the top to appeal to your target audience. It needs to be a lot snappier, trim down the clips so that it flows at a much faster pace. The shots of the computer screen are a bit difficult to make out especially when you superimpose the two characters over the screen.

Watch the intense backlight in the bedroom fight (non fight) sequence.

Well done for telling a story, if the gags get funnier, the editing gets tighter then you will improve well.

Stay lucky

Well Bob I watched it a couple of times, like Shrimpfarmer I'm not exactly the target market for this type of movie but that doesn't stop me from appreciating what you were trying to accomplish. Fist thing I notices was the hum in the background. I don't know if that was an earthing problem with your mic or just the hum of a computer fan.

These sort of things can really get in the way when you are trying to put across a story with dialogue. If you can try and fix that with some sort of compression if possible. Am I right in thinking you used an omni-directional dynamic mic rather than a directional and thats why you picked up such a lot of room noise ?

Anyway moving on. I loved the gag about sending an angry Facebook message. Like dude that was totally rad or what ever you kids say !!

At 23 seconds you had a band across your computer screen. If you change frame rates on your camera this should handle that problem. Just check in your view finder before you start to record when ever you are pointing at a monitor or TV screen.

At 47 seconds your split screen isn't quite level I noticed the keyboards in the back ground is split.

At 1:55 I couldn't hear the voice over. You need to keep an open ear when mixing levels and think what is the most important sound and make sure it can be clearly heard above the other sounds.

I hope you will read this and receive it in the manner it was meant which was to help you improve your film making and not to pull apart your movie. Your movie though not perfect was not bad at all. I believe you have a talent and would like to see you reach your potential. Just remember to keep the directors hat on during the editing process.

Often when I have finished a video, I will leave it over night and then come back to it with fresh eyes and ears. Doing this can help to clean up any small lapse of concentration that can happen at 2:00am when you've been sat in the editing chair for hours.

Good luck with your next venture.

Thank you both for the feedback.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of that humming in the background, I tryed compressing the sound but It muffeld the voices quite a bit. Any sugesstions?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Often when I have finished a video, I will leave it over night and then come back to it with fresh eyes and ears. Doing this can help to clean up any small lapse of concentration that can happen at 2:00am when you've been sat in the editing chair for hours.
    I think this is an important piece of advice and maybe something that is often overlooked by people (me included.) If I think I have a half decent movie building then I get this rush to share it. Its stupid because after a couple of days I watch it back and spot things I want to change but of course by then its too late.

Message to self..... wait 24hrs before deciding to publish.

What's the next one going to be then True? See we have shortened your name already

Quote Originally Posted by truegamenerd View Post
    Thank you both for the feedback.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of that humming in the background, I tryed compressing the sound but It muffeld the voices quite a bit. Any sugesstions?
    This depends on what is causing the sound. Was it background noise or microphone problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    What's the next one going to be then True? See we have shortened your name already
    I think truebassist, a long time poster to this forum, might have something to say about that
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This depends on what is causing the sound. Was it background noise or microphone problem?
    It's coming from background noise in my house, I have a very loud vent.

Well a few options. When filming could you not just turn off the AC/Heating, if not try dampening the sound from the vent with a big cushion. Even if it doesn't totally go away it will be better than nothing.

If you have it, use a directional mic and point it away from the source of the noise. Use a lapel mic that will only pick up sound from the person wearing it.

Film in a different location.

I'm sure there are more solutions but you will have to think them for yourself.

The main point is if you want to make your videos more polished and professional you will have to work at it. BUT of course it's up to you what you want to do.

True (2) I have had to modify your name due to copyright infringment

If your going to become dedicated to the art of movie making the vent is going to have to go. I used a heavy duty 4lb sledge hammer to smash my neighbours weathervane down because it had an annoying squeak every time we had a north westerly. I am trying to get natural sounds into my videos but that was a squeak to far.....

Sorry, sometimes I have an appalling sense of humour, I will sit in the corner now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast