Thread: Graphics cards....etc!

Default Graphics cards....etc!

Please be gentle with me....I know absolutely nothing about video!

I am trying to put together a spec for a new pc for a friend of mine, but he wants to be able to use it to burn copies of "home movies" ( i.e. the kids, before anybody gets the wromg idea!) from his camcorder, so as to be able to send copies to aunties and the like. I believe his camera is digital, it outputs via firewire. The motherboard I intend using has a firewire port, so what inputs apart from this do I need on the gfx card, and what, if any, kind of capture card may I need on top of this?

Blog Entries

As you're bulding a PC, I assume you're "up" on the hardware - in that case, build a PC with the emphasis more on the quality of RAM, CPU and motherboard than graphics card.

Thanks,
    that bit is sorted, I am quite confident with an amd xp2500, an nf7-s motherboard and 512mb of crucial pc3200, the rest of the hardware was capable, it was only if I had to look for anything special in way of the gfx card

Blog Entries

Why not spend a bit more on the processor, RAM and CPU and make it a bit more future proof? The 2500 Barton would have been a good deal six or seven months ago, but isn't it now way down the pecking order in terms of power to cost ratio?

The CPU is the most important part in encoding...

Also consider 2 x 512 MB of RAM. What is the budget?

Yeah, I would be tempted to beef the processor up a bit, get alow-end Athlon 64 (if you're on a budget, it's slightly cheaper to go with the socket 754, which will be around for a bit yet) For viditing (cough) 1GB is probably ideal as well.

Well the budget is really "as cheap as possible" or I would certainly go with the a64, but this changes the cost of the "processing unit" from a little over 100 to closer to 250. So sticking in the "32 bit" world the barton is still the best "bang for buck" I have yet to meet one that wont run at 3200 speeds without any problem.

I figgured 512mb of memory was minimum, I shall offer him the choice of 1gig and its up to him with regards cost/power, but whilst he wants to be able to use his camera with the pc that would not be its main usage, and its plenty powerfull for everything else.