Thread: vegas 6 help required (codecs?)

1. Default vegas 6 help required (codecs?)

Hi all.
    I've read the sticky and appreciate how annoying new 'posters' can be when they don't do a search for answers prior to posting.

I know this has been previously covered but as someone brand new to this stuff the answers are still far too techy for me to understand.

When importing video files into Vegas I only get the audio and no picture. I've downloaded the prog for seeing what codecs I've got and there was 450 of them!

Would anybody be able to provide an idiot proof answer to what I'm doing wrong or even where I need to be looking to find an answer.

2. Default addition to last post

Hi again.

Just to show that I am trying to help myself here I've downloaded the prog to tell me what codecs I have installed and there are hundreds!
    I've also downloaded GSPOT but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it?

Isn't it a case that Vegas needs a certain codec to import videos, so why can't I just get that one from somewhere? I'm really lost here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Hi Manch,

Are ALL your video file sfailing to show video in Vegas? Do they play video in other programs? Where did you get your troublesome files from? Cameras? How did you import/capture them?

As far as GSpot is cobcerned, open Gspot, load omne of your files and it'll tell you details about the codec.

I suspect you're suffereing from TOO MANY codecs, each competing. But let's see...
    Tim

4. Default

Tim.
    Really appreciate the reply, I'll try and answer the questions you raised.

The files that I want to import into Vegas come from:-
    1. A Dogcam sport HPQR2 recorder that records onto a compact flash card. So far I've only managed to import files from this into Vegas after they've been run through Windows Moviemaker (slow process).
    2. From a Mino HD pocket camcorder. Again files can be imported but have to be made into video using cameras supplied software first.
    3. Files downloaded from internet resource sites and uTube (using Mozilla).

All of these video files play happily in VideoLan player.

Hope you can help, thanks.

Blog Entries

I've PMd you with my email address. Please send SMALL samples so I can test on my system.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks for the files. Now here's a thing.

In my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum v6, I imported all three clips.
    The avi would drag to the timeline and produce both a video and a sound event. (The sound event was very quiet with one massive "pop" which probably caused the rest to be quiet)
    The YouTube clip resulted in video ONLY (no audio event)
    The Flip Mimo clip wouldn't drop on the timeline.

I then tried all clips in Sony Vegas Pro v9. All three clips behaved as expected (that is they worked)

So, you could upgrade to version 9 (I'm guessing the Movie Studio versions will work as well.

OR, download the free conversion utility SUPER by eRightSoft and re-encode the files. I tried tis with the total failure file (from the Mimo) and it worked a treat.

You'll need to try a few formats first to get the output format that works best for you, but this should get you out of the hole you're currently in.
    Tim

7. Default

Tim.

Thanks for all the help, its really appreciated.
    I downloaded the file converter you suggested (although it appears to become called AVS video converter 6 when you go to the "super" site). Unfortunately the free version puts a watermark in the middle of the converted files.
    No problem, I then tried a file converter called 3GP which converted the U Tube clip just fine. I think I can use this for the Mino and HQR2 video aswell (the mino comes with its own 'rendering' software anyway).

So job done really, exept do I need to be doing some more research to find a way (or CODEC?) so that I can drop video files straight into Vegas without running through a converter first, or am I seeking the impossible?

Once again thanks for the help.
    manch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manch View Post
    I downloaded the file converter you suggested (although it appears to become called AVS video converter 6 when you go to the "super" site). Unfortunately the free version puts a watermark in the middle of the converted files.
    Nope. That's not Super. It's really quite tricky to find the right download on the site. My guess is all that AVS video stuff is advertising which pays for it. Super really is a GREAT tool for reencoding everything to everything.
    Try this page SUPER videos and look for the download link "Download Super (C) setup file about 15 lines from the bottom of the page.

Glad you've got it sorted though and glad to be of assistance.
    Tim