Thread: Picking music for your video

Default Picking music for your video

If you ever find it hard to choose the music to accompany your video then this suggestion may make it a bit easier.

I have nearly 6000 tracks from CD's and downloads I have bought over the years and like many people they are all now in a digital library on my PC. Have you ever found yourself searching through your CD collection trying to find a piece of music that will compliment your film. I have and it gets very tedious very quickly because I dont know my music well enough to know what will work with the film. I do know instantly though when I hear it. So my problem was with 6000 tracks how do I quickly get to hear it.

Two or three years ago I found a piece of software called MusicIP Mixer. I am not sure its still in production because today I find that the website is no longer accessible. It can still be downloaded from here

MusicIP Mixer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

There are a number of programs on the market that do similar things to MusicIP Mixer however I have just stuck with it as it was the first.

Basically the program analyses your music and is then able to show everything you have in your library that is similar in style to any track, or combination of tracks you wish.

MusicIP has a little green man icon in the lower left of its screen. When you click that it will randomly select a track from your library and play it. You can configure it to play a section for as long as you like before moving onto another one. It plays a track about 30 seconds in so you get a good sense of what its like. If you instantly don't like it click the green forward icon and something else will be played totally randomly. OK, play your film and watch the pictures. Hit the green man and keep clicking the green forwards arrow until you hear something you feel has an emotional connection with your film. At that point hit the green man again and you will be presented with a selection of tracks based on the one you like. Use the blue arrow keys to listen to this selection. Repeat the process noting down any possible candidates on the way.

I find that I can generally find something that works within a few minutes.

Posted in the hope this helps somebody else.

Once you have picked it you might want to read this article about using it.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/wedding...ographers.html

do you have another back up (besides your hard drive) 6000 tracks is a lot to loose if your hd goes tits up !

Oh yes its duplicated across my laptops, and a couple of USB hard drives that are just for that purpose.

6000!!

I've got about 6!!
    Does that make me a philistine?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    6000!!

I've got about 6!!
    Does that make me a philistine?
    No, it makes you very selective.
    Tim

The cheapest way to buy music for non commercial video use is to check out your local charity shops in the high street. Most charge 2 per CD and I have found them to have a very wide range. I don't just buy stuff that appeals to my taste in music, I buy anything I think could be useful. I guess thats why I now have 6000 tracks. I come out of the shop with 5 CDs and the charity has 10.

I'm not saying we don't have music in the house, there is a CD collection in the front room, mainly compiled by 'she who must be obeyed', but it never gets anywhere near my PC!

I have enough problems sifting through the 50,000+ still images and a few hundred video clips 'that might be useful one day' as it is, without building in a maze of folders containing music!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    I'm not saying we don't have music in the house, there is a CD collection in the front room, mainly compiled by 'she who must be obeyed', but it never gets anywhere near my PC!

I have enough problems sifting through the 50,000+ still images and a few hundred video clips 'that might be useful one day' as it is, without building in a maze of folders containing music!!
    I know what you mean about the troubles caused by a mass of files. I have all the CD's too but they are in boxes in the cupboard. I keep them just in case my backup drives die in sequence one morning

Even if you never use music in your films MusicIP mixer is fantastic when you fancy listening to some music but are bored with playing the same old thing. Just hit the random button until it plays something your in the mood for and then tell it to create a mix based on that. Its very good for generating background music for a dinner party etc.

What I particularly like about the software is that it gets you to listen to music you would never choose to play.

However, for me its my talent scout finding pieces of music for my films. I had no idea what I wanted to use for my latest movie but it found it for me within minutes. Its time to get your CD collection onto hard disk, you will be quite surprised at how much more you or your wife plays music once you do.

Stick all on an old laptop or something or on a portable usb.