Thread: Nearly finished music vid when it goes wrong!

1. Default Nearly finished music vid when it goes wrong!

Oh dear, we'd almost finished our music vid but felt on a couple of tracks we'd used the wrong take.
    So we substituted better ones, but now for some reason the new ones seem to interfere with other tracks & we get this jittery interaction between them.
    We know that the tracks at the top on the timeline take priority over tracks below & somehow by introducing new takes onto these we've upset the hierarchy in some way.
    I'm sorry we dont know really know the right terminology, does anyone know what we are talking about?

Thanks

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Blog Entries

So what exactly is happening?
    What do you mean by jittery interaction?
    I ask because I have had problems (only I think since 9.0c) where some bits (like rectangular chunks) of events not even under the timeline would randomly appear for a few frames!
    I usually find a serious defrag of my disks solves this.
    Tim

3. Default

Hi Tim
    basically, taking the first 5 tracks (all chromakeyed), a smaller image of track 1 & other random chunks of image keep flashing over the top of track 5 in the preview pane.
    Turning off either track cures the problem.
    We dont think this has any thing to do with adding the new takes to the timeline as now all previous saves of the project are likewise affected.

Just gone back to the PC to try to find anything else relevant & it's all gone back to normal!!!
    This is a new computer. Is it some sort of instability?

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Is it possible you could post a frame grab or a picture of the time line.

How have the takes been added?
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 10-31-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Hi Tim
    basically, taking the first 5 tracks (all chromakeyed), a smaller image of track 1 & other random chunks of image keep flashing over the top of track 5 in the preview pane.
    Turning off either track cures the problem.
    We dont think this has any thing to do with adding the new takes to the timeline as now all previous saves of the project are likewise affected.

Just gone back to the PC to try to find anything else relevant & it's all gone back to normal!!!
    This is a new computer. Is it some sort of instability?

Sarah & Allison & Tina
    That's EXACTLY the sort of problem I've been getting from time to time with a lot of tracks on the go. Sometimes it "just goes away". Sometimes I need to move files around on the hard disk (by defragging). I'm sort of relieved I'm not the only person getting this, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.
    I'm not likely to revert to an earlier version of Vegas, though I'm confident I only strated getting this with 9.0c (or possibly 9.0b). This on a computer I've been running Vegas Pro 7, 8 and 9 on for 2.5 years. (So, whilst it MAY be hardware related, it's only come to light with the latest releases)

I am planning to upgrade my system soon(ish) to an i5 or an i7 and go to 64 bit Win 7/Vegas. I'm just hoping the problem will go away then.
    Tim

You beat me to it Tim, occasionally I can see parts of other windows behind Vegas leak through, more so during heavy CPU usage (rendering)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    You beat me to it Tim, occasionally I can see parts of other windows behind Vegas leak through, more so during heavy CPU usage (rendering)
    This is something of a shame. When I moved to Vegas it had a well earned reputation as a rock solid piece of software.
    It seems that with need to include compatibility for the numerous and varied new formats that have spring up as "HD" has hit the mainstream, this stability has become less so. I really hope to see some sort of consolidation in the near future or forums will become full of moans about it, just as forums about other NLEs have always been.
    Tim

I also had a bit of weirdness when upgrading to 9c. The first crop/pans I did showed a 4:3 shape with the 16:9 image across the middle. (black bars top and bottom. This also just went away on its own. Odd.

9. Default

Sorry, we didn't check this thread for any more replies.
    The problem has returned occaisionally, always when we have added a new track to the timeline, but has then eventually rectified itself.
    We have to confess we were running 27 tracks simultaneously!
    We only have Vegas 9b.
    Thanks for the replies.

Sarah & Allison & Tina