Thread: Why?

Talking Why?

I havent produced anything for quite a while so this is my first atempt for a good few years.

Basiaclly all the footage used has been accumilated over the last 4 years.

The majority has just been filmed from a digital camera using the video option.

It's called Why? as I'm sure the question will come up!!

Last edited by jerrythegiraffe; 10-30-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Why indeed?

You will appreciate the comments are entirely subjective for this sort of video.
    I'm glad I stuck with it as the section 2.30-2.40 was well worth watching.

There are a few other images which I found really strong and some of the repeated images worked well in an effort to bind the whole thing together (the "line drawing" effect, the Union Flag)

Overall though I thought you used far too many different effects which really gave the film a disjointed feel, and whilst many effects seemed to work well in an arty way, many others failed.

In particular I didn't like the pinch/fisheye effect (made it look like a skate vid). Also, I'm not a fan of repeating an image in four quarters of the screen - unless you're going to treat them differently (per the Andy Warhol Marylin)

But as I say, it's purely subjective. And it's given me a couple fo ideas. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the feedback Tim.

I appreciate all comments and criticism.

The short video was basically me getting to grips with Final Cut. It's the first bit of editing i have done on it so was all pretty much experimental.

I take your point about it being disjointed in parts, it's often only when you view back a few times after the final edit that you see parts that you want to change.

Glad you got something out of it though.

Thanks again.

Haywards Heath, West Sussex, UK

Yep thats a good title and it had me thinking about it a lot as I watched it. But that is not a bad thing actually. I always try to watch a film without reading other peoples comments first otherwise I surrender my own first impressions.

My first thought was that you were trying to produce a pop video interpretation of the song. Then I began to think you were simply experimenting with the special effects in your editor. Then I thought, why would you post that? I then gave up thinking about why and concentrated more on its visual appeal.

I like some of the effects a lot and others a lot less. You re-use the same clip a lot but then again does that matter in a piece like this? At first I thought it was wrong and then changed my mind. The titles were a bit dodgy.

One thing the film does have though is a great track and fantastic pace which suits the music very well.

If the 'Why' is to practice editing skills, it works. As above, I think the repeated use of the same clip is overdone, but that is a personal opinion.
    The one thing I did hate was the wonky horizon in the cycling shots. Only works if it's done deliberately rather than the accidental occurances that these appeared to be!
    Overall a reasonable excercise.