Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to move on

Default Time to move on

Well its time to offer up another one of mine to see if I am improving or not.

Inspired by Midnight Blue's film of his visit to a deer park me and the wife went to one ourselves near Sandringham. I found them to be quite skittish and they would keep moving away. So whilst my wife went and looked around the House I sat myself down with my back against a tree and waited. Sure enough after a fairly short time the deer would grow used to me and draw nearer. Just as I was begging to get good shots, a walker or another camera man would approach from a different direction and the deer would move off again. The deer are almost constantly moving so I called this short film Time to move on.

All feedback welcome.

Nice to see another piece Shrimpy. Firstly, It's absolutely beautiful. Great choice of music. Really well shot and put together. Even the titles are well done.

If I had to be really critical, I would have loved to have heard some Foley sound of the wind as it blew the leaves across the shot at the beginning. You could have held that shot longer with the title for me.

I had to giggle when I saw the lady pop from behind the tree. There is a shot of a stag at 0:57 which is very nice but I would have liked to had a full length shot of him as well.

As you can tell from my comments it's very hard to fault. In fact I can only think of things that aren't there as there is nothing wrong with what is there. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would have loved to have heard some Foley sound of the wind as it blew the leaves across the shot at the beginning. You could have held that shot longer with the title for me.

I had to giggle when I saw the lady pop from behind the tree. There is a shot of a stag at 0:57 which is very nice but I would have liked to had a full length shot of him as well.
    Foley is something I have got to get into but also something I know nothing about.

I have real problems with the sound on my current camera which is why I tend to use a music track so much. I bought the wrong one, its really only meant for casual shots I think. There is no input for any external mic and there only needs to be the merest hint of wind and it sounds like a hurricane.

Re the wind on the opening shot, I totally agree, but I didnt have any more footage and I didnt want to slow it down.

I think I do have a full frame shot of the stag but he ended up on the cutting room floor.

As for the pop out camera woman, she had absolutely no idea I was there. At one point she almost trod on my hand. It just goes to show how you disappear when you keep completely still.

Thanks for your feedback, its always appreciated. I am learning a lot here.

Blog Entries

A good clue as to whether film works or not is whether I keep checking the time or not. I couldn't believe a minute had gone by after 60 seconds - it felt like far less. Well done! I think two minutes was about the ideal time for this - it left me wanting a bit more, but not feeling I'd missed out on anything.

The film is also a good demonstration of getting the exposure right. I presume you exposed manually - it was clearly exposed for the deer at the expense of the background which, as a result, was extremely over exposed in places. Beginners take note: exposing for the whole image is not always what's required.

As for foley. Consider getting a separate digital recorder. I use a Zoom H2 and swear by it. About 130 UKP with built in stereo mics which give surprisingly good quality. It also has input for external mics, though I've found a bit of hiss tends to get added (easily removed with noise reduction software, but it's better to start with a clean signal). I often use this in conjunction with a directional mic on the camera - the H2 providing stereo ambience and the camera mic providing the dialog in the final mix. I only mention this to indicate that a digital recorder will continue to be useful even if you replace your cam.

If you can afford it, a more up market digital recorder would be an even better bet - the Zoom H4 and Marantz PMD660 (as recommended by the Gaffer) have XLRs for balanced mic inputs.

Another suggestion, and another one I've used, is sounds generated from a program called "Atmosphere". The lite version is free. Vectormedia Software Products
    Tim

Tim, thanks for the feedback

I really feel that thanks to this forum my videos are improving. Based on comments read, in this film I implemented the following changes;

Used a tripod even though it was a pig to use with animals that keep running away
    Tried to tell a story
    Ruthlessly selected the shots for inclusion
    Tried to improve the titles
    Used more of the inbuilt functionality of my camera - exposure
    Attempted for the first time some basic colour correction in post - much more to learn here

Thanks for the tips on the sound recording, its certainly where I want to go next and I am sure I will end up with one of those recorders.

I will also take a look at that software you recommend.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I really feel that thanks to this forum my videos are improving.
    So do I.

(and not just you videos - Boom Boom!)

I learn so much just by watching others' videos and reading comments about those and my own. The trouble with a video club is that it's quite difficult to be blunt to peoples faces - some people are hppy with that, others take offence. The comparative anonymity of the forum lends a distance between critic and subject which makes it easier to speak openly and honestly.

Of course, it also helps that those who are likely to take offense don't put their heads above the parapet.
    Tim

As per another thread, this is one subject that I can comment on! (Although I have no idea what a 'Foley' is!)

You've certainly found out one thing, and that is that chasing wildlife (as per the woman in the shot) gets you nowhere and you are much better sitting and waiting for it to come to you. Otherwise you only ever end up with 'bum shots'!

I'm going to be picky about the music.... Although it fits and works to an extent, as some have pointed out that they like it, I don't totally agree in that it was a little too haunting for the time of day that it was shot. The best time to shoot deer is early morning which would have given you a more atmospheric feel to the footage that the music would have better fitted. It would also have reduced your exposure problems. (One of the reasons I have virtually no deer footage and few stills is the nearest deer herd is over 60 miles away! )

Stags are a difficult shape to frame nicely due to their antlers (with a still camera it autmatically goes into portrait orientation), so I agree that a full body shot would possibly be more pleasing, perhaps followed by the head shots.

Other than those points, it's an excellent job, and it does fly past. I watched three times straight off for no other reason than I wanted to!

Come next spring, if you like (really) early mornings and a bit of wildlife, give me a shout.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post

Come next spring, if you like (really) early mornings and a bit of wildlife, give me a shout.
    Now THAT's an invitation which could be taken two ways
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Now THAT's an invitation which could be taken two ways
    LOL

It's an open one Tim

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    As per another thread, this is one subject that I can comment on! (Although I have no idea what a 'Foley' is!)
    I'm going to be picky about the music.... Although it fits and works to an extent, as some have pointed out that they like it, I don't totally agree in that it was a little too haunting for the time of day that it was shot. The best time to shoot deer is early morning which would have given you a more atmospheric feel to the footage that the music would have better fitted.

I actually totally agree with you about the music. If I had had shots of mist, dew, twilight etc. the music would have been a 100% fit.

I have no worries over really early morning starts. I have crashed many a door before the sun was up Any time you want to I am up for it. Tim said he will bring the sarnies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast