Thread: Any stills photographers here

Default Any stills photographers here

I currently use a Canon G10 as my stills camera. I went out the other day with the intention of photographing the autumn colours. The G10 has plenty of options however I find that I just can't trust the focus. Its using the LCD screen that's the problem and its stopping me getting the shots I want.

Its time for a digital SLR so that I can view through the lens using a viewfinder and thus see when my subject is truly in focus. I will be using it to capture general holiday pictures, scenery and people going about there business. I also want to use it at airshows and capturing radio control models in flight. I take plenty of macro shots as well.

A decent movie mode would be useful should I be without my HD camcorder for some reason but will not be my main source for video.

On a previous camera I had an LCD screen that could be folded out and angled which I found ever so useful for getting low level and macro shots. If I can get that as well it would be great as I really miss it using the G10.

I am the type of person who is prepared to learn whatever I have to to use the camera properly but I am never going to be using it to make money.

My budget is 1500.

I find the process of choosing a little daunting and would appreciate any advice before I go and by a Turkey.

Are you looking for something like the Nikon D90 it's got all the things your looking for except the fold out screen. Review here It's well withing your budget so will leave exra funds for a big zoom lens and a nice prime lens. My wife has the D60 ( no video) and my friend has the D90 he gets great still shots and the video is 720p.

Thanks Midnight, I will have a look at that one. Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Blog Entries

I would suggest having a look at the stuff from Mike Kobal in the user vids. I know that it's not all to your taste but he does seem to use a lot of different stills cameras to record video.

Much though I hate to admit it (being very much a Nikon kina guy) the Canons are also worth a look.

I am beginning to settle on the Nikon D5000.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-Digital-Camera-18-55/dp/B0025KV8Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257515363&sr =8-1]Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

I have been thinking really hard about why I want to move away from my Canon G10. The two main reasons are the ability to focus effectively, without having to use the LCD screen and an LCD screen that can be angled for those shots when you cannot look through a viewfinder. I know the moveable LCD may sound a bit gimmicky but I used to use it all the time on a previous camera and I have come to the conclusion I can't live without it.

The D5000 seems to fit the bill and is of course one of the leading makes. Now all I have to do is settle on the lenses. I have 3 main requirements;

Standard shots when out for a walk.
    Macro photography of insects, flowers etc
    Closeup shots of aircraft - 300 or 400 mm lens.

You may have made up your mind on the camera choice but I hope you shop around, the Amazon price is a bit steep for that camera. A simple Google will reveal some better deals from reputable stores. You may also be interested on the bundle deals you can get from places like Jessops. There is also a 50 cash back promotion through Nikon up until Christmas so it's a good time to by this camera.

One last thing about the lens when you are looking around for a Nikon lens I would recommend it has VR in the name, this is the Vibration Reduction which I think is invaluable for hand held shots.

Happy shopping.

Thanks for that Midnight. I am going to shop around and have quite a good dealership near to me that have very keen prices. I quite like to read Amazon reviews as they tend to be from people with widely differing experience levels. It was a convenient link for the piccy. Thanks for the tip about VR.

First off, Nikon is the right choice!!

I haven't used the D5000, but most of the D90 is stuffed into it and that I have tried.
    One thing to be aware of when purchasing lenses is that the D5000 has no internal focussing motor, so you will need lenses that have the AF-S prefix (or HSM in the case of Sigma lenses) Older AF or AI lenses will not work on it. That, however, is not a problem if you don't already have a lens collection.

VR is not essential on shorter focal lengths, but great to have available on longer focal lengths.

The two lenses I would recommend to get you started would be the (delete that one as it seems to be discontinued!) and replace with:Nikon 18-105mm AF-S DX Nikkor f3.5-5.6 G ED VR Lens (JAA805DA) - Warehouse Express

and the:Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S VR IF-ED Lens (JAA795DA) - Warehouse Express which will give you a good overall range and you should be able to stay inside budget (Just!)

You may, however, need to think about a set of extension tubes or a dedicated Macro lens at a later date if you find the close-up ability of these lenses limiting.
    The longer one will be fine for airshows, but may be a little short for model aircraft/heli's unless you keep them fairly close.

Give me a shout if you need more info.

I might just add that you will be better off getting these with a body-only camera deal than getting the 18-55mm lens supplied as a kit. 'Kit' lenses were invented by Canon to supply 'cheap' kits and Nikon had to follow suit!
    Just remember that when Canon produced their first camera, they fitted it with a Nikkor Lens!!
    Last edited by IanA; 11-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.

All duly noted many thanks for that Ian. Very useful.
    Last edited by Shrimpfarmer; 11-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.