Thread: When its inappropriate to film.

Default When its inappropriate to film.

I am lucky, I am retired. So yesterday me and the wife were being lazy laying in bed watching the news when the doorbell goes. Knowing were not expecting any parcels we chose to ignore it. Then it goes again, and again. That's odd.

I put my dressing gown on and go to answer it. Its Tom, my neighbour from across the road. He is about 85 but still mad keen on do it yourself. It takes me a few seconds to realise its Tom because he looks more like a small white yeti. The majority of his head and hair is covered in white paint which he has tried his best to wipe off. He explains that he was painting the rafters of his porch and his tin of paint is now all over the patio slabs outside his front door.

He swallows and says 'Josie will be home soon, any ideas?' Josie his is wife but before I can formulate a plan to get him out of his predicament, she rounds the corner with her shopping and heads for the front door. Her screams of horror makes Tom say 'Oh fuck' which is the first time I have ever heard him swear. The yeti leaves me and goes to console his wife whilst I shout I will be over in a minute.

I dash upstairs and get dressed. I have to confess, I was so tempted to grab my camera and record the event but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. I clearly would never make a journalist.

I spent most of yesterday with my pressure cleaner removing all trace of the paint from Tom's patio slabs and garage wall. Today the only trace of the crime are small traces of the yeti outfit which will just have to wear off over time.

Josie has forgiven him and given me two bottles of wine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I dash upstairs and get dressed. I have to confess, I was so tempted to grab my camera and record the event but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. I clearly would never make a journalist.
    Unless Mrs Yeti was a particularly violent person, you've missed all the action anyway and the aftermath is equally well covered with the stills.

You'd have been very lucky to capture the main event (the spillage)

If you'd had that journalistic streak you may just have grabbed your camcorder in preparation for the return of Mrs Yeti which may have made a good shot.

I keep thinking I ought to keep a small camera in my car's glove compartment at all time, ready to shoot anything - it's so simple and the day often presents opportunities for a short film. But I don't. Guess I lack that journalistic streak too.

Enjoy the wine.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I had regular "assistant to dad" duties as a kid. On one occassion my dad was high up in a tree trimming branches, but the ladder has somehow worked its way free. He was stuck in the branches, feet dangling, shouting out to me to prop up the ladder. Before I did that, I rush inside to get my camera. Unfortunately I had no video camera in those days, but it still made a good picture.

Always be ready to film, but always be subtle. Even if you turn a camera on in a convieniant position...

Hi Shrimpfarmer

While I read your story the visuals were floating in my head!! Your storytelling technique is streaks ahead of the modern journalist .... that was a movie in the making and others would do well to observe your storytelling technique ...if more people applied that to their movies everyone's production would be good, or even excellent!!!

If you are not a former scriptwriter then you certainly should be one!!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    If you are not a former scriptwriter then you certainly should be one!!!

Chris
    I have never written a script in my life but as an ex copper I have written a million witness statements. Come to think of it I think the odd defence lawyer has inferred I am a script writer during cross examination.

Thanks for your kind words.