Thread: How to fixate markers to follow a steady beat?

1. Default How to fixate markers to follow a steady beat?

How do i fixate some markers in a videoclip to follow a steady beat? (A static 4 beat drumloop in my case).

So I just want the markers in the clip to dynamically follow my drum beat: Having the effect that the speed in the clip will display faster/slower depending on how short/long space there is between the markers.) Always being in sync with the drumbeat. The wave-file, the static 1-2-3-4 of the drum will ofcourse not change in velocity. Very thankful for help on this. As we are in a free project and a bit after "deadline"......

Blog Entries

There is nothing I'm aware of that will enable you to set markers dependent upon something in another track, let alone peaks in an audio track.
    If you have Vegas Pro, there are scripts around which will let you set a marker every "x" frames or seconds or beats (depending on how you've set the ruler). But this will only work for you if you have a steady beat - you indicate you are speeding up/slowing down.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by coolvid View Post
    How do i fixate some markers in a videoclip to follow a steady beat? (A static 4 beat drumloop in my case).
    So, if I am to understand your openning question correctly, YOU wish to have Markers appear ON the Beat? Yes? Well this you can do by tapping on the "M" key in time with the Beat. I have done this often and I can get it correct, mostly. A TIP here is to slow down the play back Preview Rate - use the slider for this, you can get as low as 25% of your previewing. The it is a case of fine tuning against the Audio (actual beat) and the Visual (actual waveform). There IS another method which involves using a script to place markers at intervals and then render and use that render as a "map" . . . . try the tapping method!

Quote Originally Posted by coolvid View Post
    So I just want the markers in the clip to dynamically follow my drum beat: Having the effect that the speed in the clip will display faster/slower depending on how short/long space there is between the markers.) Always being in sync with the drumbeat.
    "So I just want the markers in the clip to dynamically follow my drum beat" - Nice! So would I! Not do-able at all. Yes we can accelerate and decelerate Visuals through playback and Velocity envelopes and so on, but to achieve this really great "dynamic" idea isn't available in Vegas, there isn't a way to "dynamically" control Visuals against a variable beats AND on-the-fly too. Pity, but that's the way it is.

Yes I could, and do, make beats be synch to visuals, but then to achieve the " . . the markers in the clip to dynamically follow my drum beat" I would need to redo the Marker positions, either by render an embedded marker audio file then time stretch, then promote markers, then realign then .. . . and so on . .this ain't dynamic by any "stretch" of the imagination.

Fundamentally, Markers are GLOBAL to a Veg Project. They can be moved; they can be deleted; they can even be embedded into a Rendered Media file. But what they WONT do is be stretch or squashed in terms of a ratio-time separation. Even less, 'cos of their Project-Wide function, can they interact with a given piece of Media - you squash an Event by 50%, the Markers do NOT squash evenly down, they ONLY get moved by the reduction in the overall time. And why? It is because they have this Project-wide functionality.

Try it yourself:

1] Place a piece of Media on timeline - say 10 seconds long

2] Place makers every 2 seconds

3] Now, engage Auto Ripple and select Affected Track & Markers

4] Do the Ctrl+Squash to the Event say to 6 seconds - now look at what happens to the Markers. They do what they are supposed to do. They WILL crunch down to where they think that Event needs them with regard to the Timeline position but NOT the specific Event squashing.

So, the good news is TAPPING M-key to beat and the "tip". The bad news, no dynamic way other than the embed and so on ....

4. Default

Thanks alot again Grazie and for taking the time. I will work with it tonight or maybe tomorrow. I will see if it can be be solved in an not too time cunsuming way...as we are already after deadline...but it has to be really good... and it will I will let you know more further on.
    Tell you about it and if you are interested I will send you something.