Thread: Pixel Art!

Default Pixel Art!

Hello people!

I just wanted to show some of my latest work in pixel-art videos, I render music videos using algorythms to place blocks of colours according to the beat.....this can be used in several ways, like only pixels, mixing with footage or expanding the concept using different pulg-ins.

For the music I collaborate with remix artists and djs to have fresh (usually) electronica sound, always with permission.

Well there are usually two types of people....you either hate it or you love it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kennel View Post
    Well there are usually two types of people....you either hate it or you love it!
    Then I'm unusual as I have neither of those emotions.

The idea of video responding to music is something that I find quite interesting. Indeed I have at the back of my mind to take a fairly straightforward piece of Bach and experiment with a very "literal" translation - eg the qualities of each note (pitch, length, dynamic) is represented by a particular color or shape or position or brightness. I'm sure this has been done plenty of times but I just fancy it as an exercise.

Your vids were both very different. I did not like the first. It just seemd to me like lots of blocky shapes intruding on fairly pointless random video clips. It may have worked better for me without the filmed video contendt.

On the other hand I did enjoy the second. If you've used video in it at all it's in a very abstract way. The whole thing had a much more cohesive feel and the music and video complimented each other.
    Tim

Hello Pixel Art

I have to declare I don't like them but good luck to you in making them. If they bring you joy then that's all good in my book.

I have to say I much preferred your video on Total War on your Youtube site. The graphics within the latest games are becoming so good that it now opens up huge possibilities in home film making. I wonder if in-game footage is copyright?

I saw a different video yesterday where someone had taken footage from a WW2 flightsim and using actors and green screen had superimposed real life characters into the action. His next project was to create a short documentary on a German flying Ace using the same technique. I can see that this could be some amazing fun.

Kennel - I would be pleased to learn your technique for getting the effects in time with the music. Do you do it all manually? Or use a plugin to analyse the audio? Or use the original timing information from the composer's original MIDI tracks?

TimStannard - I truly look forward to seeing an animation by you based on a short Bach piece. That is exactly what I have been playing with (partly using my homemade MIDI to CSV app); but your video technical skills are far in excess of my own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    TimStannard - I truly look forward to seeing an animation by you based on a short Bach piece. That is exactly what I have been playing with (partly using my homemade MIDI to CSV app); but your video technical skills are far in excess of my own.
    That's thrown down the gauntlett. I don't think ability with video editing software comes into it very much.

My concepts are very basic. And all will be done manually. Being able to take MIDI files and convert that automatically is far more interesting.

The basic difference between doing it this way (ie mine and yours) and doing it the way WMP & programs like GForce do it, is we are working purely with the music at its conceptual level - the pitch, duration, duration, volume, and to a lesser extent attack/decay - the stuff that can be notated (or represented in MIDI which is pretty similar) whereas the other approach attempts to interpret the whole sound - ie tone is absolutely critical.

"Our" way feels a bit like a throwback to the 50s. I must get some longer lastig valves (tubes for our Americak friends) for my PC.

The reason Bach springs to mind is that it is apparently very mathematical and it already looks quite beautiful on the score - even to someone who doesn't read music.
    Tim