Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story Board

Default Story Board

I'm planning my first Major (well major for me) project and I'm at the story board stage. ie trying to establish what shots I need in what scene. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to go about this. I have a problem in that I can't really draw. I did look at a piece of software that helps with the drawing but I found it to fiddly to use. I should mention it is a zero budget project. (or as near to zero as possible)

I may have gotten to ambitious for my first shoot as there are a lot of night scenes. A driving scene. 2 dance scenes. Slow motion and time laps. I think the only sensible thing I decided was that I don't have to worry about sound as it will just be a music track.

My problem is my lack of expedience in planning shots as I have always just shot what I saw. Now I need to be more disciplined.

I have worked out locations and characters and the basic narrative (well most of it) BUT without getting to formulaic. I need to know about when do I need an establishing shot. ie should this be done at the beginning of every scene. I get the feeling now I written this I'm asking the impossible.

Even though I would still appreciate any pointers anyone could give me.

Mmm good thread.

So far I have only ever planned one film but that only went as far as listing some of the shots I thought I needed. I can see however how important it is to thoroughly plan more adventurous projects.

If I was approaching this for the first time I would use pen and paper and leave the computer out of it for now, other than a word processor.

I would get some large post it notes or ordinary paper and a large pin board. I would use stick figures and simple shapes to represent what I want to see on screen. Use one post it for each scene and then you can arrange them to your hearts content.

Once I had them in order, I would number them off and flesh out with explanatory comments in a word processor.

Thats one suggestion from someone who has never done anything like it before

Blog Entries

My suggestion is to get into a workflow habit. Firstly, when you arrive at the location, block out the action. Get the actors to go through their moves, say their lines and do the scene, at half-speed if necessary. Then, with the cameraman, decide what angles and shots are available. Then worry about lighting it and hiding microphones etc.
    Most productions do the "master" or "establishing" shot first. It's been done that way for a century and it's a nice way of nailing down the action and having a "safety net" if you lack the coverage elsewhere.

Then do the close-ups, then the fancy shots and cutaways.

At your stage of film-making I wouldn't rely on a storyboard. It's a great tool if you know exactly what you want but in a flexible production it just slows you down and tends to restrict your options. If you just want it as an aide-memoir then stick figures and such will do just fine.

Thanks guys for responding so quickly.
    Shrimpy: Post-it notes are always useful, good idea. I had started using the familiar boxes on paper and wasting loads of paper.

Gaffer: Thats exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Thanks.

I hope there are more ideas to help me out.

Blog Entries

On the subject of storyboard software, has anyone looked at Celtx Celtx - Integrated Media Pre-Production Open Source software?
    Might just have a play....

EDIT: Just had a look. Forget it for drawing storyboards - you need to create the images elsewhere.

However, it looks like a pretty good tool for organising your production. Write your scripts, create your Storyboard (from already existing images), schedule shoots, list items/actors required for each scene/shoot etc etc. Take a look at the demo videos.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-27-2009 at 10:12 PM.
    Tim

I use Frameforge3d for my storyboarding.

No drawing necessary.

I tried Frameforge3d but found it to difficult to get my head round. I can see how it would be useful once you understand it. I liked the idea of being able to mock up camera angles and lighting but in reality for me it was just to tricky for a beginner.

The Celtex Pre-Production suite looks very compehensive. I haven't seen it before.

I looked at Celtx, but as I don't understand a lot of the steps required I gave up (quite quickly) and used good old Word to outline the ideas and write the words.

As for drawing,.... what's that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    As for drawing,.... what's that?
    Something done by people who are too lazy to learn photography.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    [Drawing is] done by people who are too lazy to learn photography.
    A prime candidate for quote of the month.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast