Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the tea room ? - suggestions for improvement

Default Where is the tea room ? - suggestions for improvement

Now that I am retired I miss the chats I used to have with all the people I used to meet whilst making my cup of tea in the poky little cupboard that served as the tea room. In the tea room I could talk about anything I wanted.

This forum should have its tea room, water cooler, whatever you want to call it. A place where you can come and talk about whatever you want, not just about video. I am posting this here because the area is titled off-topic. I don't feel however that off-topic is the best title and its not the best place as part of forum announcements.

I am therefore suggesting a new forum area called 'The water cooler' a place to hang out and chill and talk about whatever may be making you happy, sad or annoyed.

What do others think about this?

Blog Entries

I think that is rather what Marc had in mind for the "Just for Fun" section - though I see from the desciption that's not the case.

Good idea.
    Tim

Good idea for those who have the time to chat.

Hi Midnight. I am very lucky to have the time to chat and I accept anyone who is working has a million more pressures on their time. However, such an an area is often used to seek help and ideas on solving the challenges that life can throw up. Forums are made up of very diverse people with experience of many different things and that can bring some very out of the box solutions to problems.

Tim, before I posted this suggestion I had a look at the areas and also thought that the just for fun area may have been intended for this, but as you say the description brings it back to video, and nobody would try to tap into the memberships experience of life to solve a problem by posting in the just for fun area

One forum I use call it the clubhouse. A place to drop in and talk about whatever is on your mind. Sometimes when the real business of the forum is slow its the only area that has new posts. New posts are the lifeblood of every forum.

You could call it 'The Cutting Room'!

(I stopped short of suggesting 'The Cutting Room Floor'!!)

I know, ... coat..... door>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    You could call it 'The Cutting Room'!

(I stopped short of suggesting 'The Cutting Room Floor'!!)

I know, ... coat..... door>>>>

Nice suggestion Ian, and thank you for the perfect example of what is likely to happen in such an area. People tell jokes, take the p***, rant, talk about the telly, in fact anything.

I was on a campsite the other day and had arranged for a package to be delivered. When I went to pick it up I had to endure the moans of the most miserable git I had ever met. After listening to him telling me off for not asking him first I felt like panning him, which let's face it is never a good idea. I went into the 'clubhouse' and told me mates. They soon cheered me up Were all going to go round there later and get him.

I wrote my post a bit sloppy. I didn't mean "Yeah, for those who don't have anything else to do". I meant it's a good idea. It could as you say, help with the lifeblood of the forum ie get more people posting. I've noticed in my short time being here that there are a lot of people looking but not many people posting.

I know I'm a blabber mouth and try and post on everything I can. I also know there are some people who don't feel confident to do this kind of thing. Maybe if there was a relaxed place just for chatting it would help coax people into posting in the forum.

People should understand we are all just spouting our opinion. We all have one of those. I know sometimes an informed technical responce is needed but not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I wrote my post a bit sloppy.
    No worries

Is there a button that can be pressed that presents you with a combined list of all the unread posts from each forum? if there is my eyes can't find it. If there isn't can we have one please ?

You're demanding today Shrimpy! Two in the same thread?

It is a good idea to have such an area that encourages folks to post, it gets them into the habit of actually doing so!
    And, if it gets a little out of hand, at least it gives the moderators something to do! (Not that that happens often in my experience!)

BTW if you need a hand with yer ol' git, give me a shout and I'll break out the walking stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Were all going to go round there later and get him.
    Maybe we should call it fight club.

While we are chatting, why did you choose the name Shrimp Farmer ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast