Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daughter's 5th birthday party

Blog Entries

Default My daughter's 5th birthday party

Filmed last weekend. Just for fun. Lots of hand-held wobbly bits. At over 5 mins it's really too long for anyone except the kids and their parents - for whom it was filmed. I hope they'll enjoy it.
    Tim

I am really beginning to dislike you Tim Stannard. If I had made that I would have demanded an oscar. You! You! put it in the just for fun section!!!!!! Arrgrgrgrrrh!

Its not too long its simply charming. The squirrel is inspired and I just loved the tap on the lens to open the film. How did you go about making this Tim. Had you planned it or did you just film everything and edit what you had? The music was perfect and the overall sound quality and mix really good.

That is worth its weight in gold in the future. I only have some measly black and white photos of my childhood. Kids these days are going to have a visual document of their entire lives by the time they reach our age. let's just hope they have the sense to look after them.

Loved the ending especially that you used the names on the plates for the credits.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your kind words Shrimpy, even if your nominating me for an oscar might be a little over the top I have two older kids (22 & 20) and regret that I hadn't taken up the hobby when they were young.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Had you planned it or did you just film everything and edit what you had?
    It was all unplanned. I hadn't visited the shop and took along a tripod though my wife told me there'd be no room for it. As usual she was correct.

I do find that the more I do the better I get at spotting useful shots when doing these unplanned excursions. This came from about 48 mins of footage. In the past I'd have had an hour and a half of footage of which even less would be usable. The only way (for me) to improve my raw footage to usable footage ratio is practice and I find family events are ideal for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Loved the ending especially that you used the names on the plates for the credits.
    A case in point of developing an "eye" for what you might be able to use.
    Tim

I wish I could hand hold 'wobbly bits' that steady!!

It is not too long and it is entertaining enough even though I know none of the participants, a masterstroke in itself.
    The puppet presenter is a wonderful idea, spoiled only slightly by the fact it is not quite in focus. A No1 close-up filter would overcome this and still get the children in focus as soon as the puppet left the frame.

I can see I've a lot to learn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    The puppet presenter is a wonderful idea, spoiled only slightly by the fact it is not quite in focus. A No1 close-up filter would overcome this and still get the children in focus as soon as the puppet left the frame.
    Thanks for the tip, Ian. I've never really understood what a close up filter does (although its name is a bit of a give away as to its use!). Now I have no excuse not to check it out.

As you can probably guess the puppet wasn't planned. "Cyril" came alond with one otf the girls - her class take it in turns to "look after" him each weekend and then tell the class what he's been up to.

I just idly picked it up and started playing with it with some vague idea that if I moved it in enough ways I might be able to fir something to it. It has proved such a hit that I think I'll get me a couple of glove puppets specifically for intros/light relief. It's so easy to do and will generally raise a smirk.

Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    I can see I've a lot to learn.
    Ah, but as with most things, the more you learn the more you realise there IS to learn. I certainly find that. That's why it's so important to find a career or hobby where the journey itself is fun and/or interesting.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think I'll get me a couple of glove puppets specifically for intros/light relief. It's so easy to do and will generally raise a smirk.
    Light relief eh, good job we know what you mean

No problem Tim, one good turn etc!

A close-up filter works pretty much like a pair of reading glasses, allowing you to focus on subjects closer than you could focus on naturally. However, they do loose the ability to focus on infinity. Weakest is a No1 which will allow a lot closer focussing than your camera's standard closest focus while only loosing a small amount near infinity. Therefore subjects in the middle distance ( like the children at the party) will still be within the focus range.
    As the attachements get stronger i.e. No2, No3 etc, the ability to focus very close becomes possible, but at the expense of the distance work. (You should also be aware that the depth-of-field reduces as you get closer too!)

HIH

Hi Tim,

I am new to this site as you will see and this is my first feedback.

Firstly can I say that the overall movie looks damn professional and very clinical, well done.

Can I ask what camera you used and what editing software you use?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Hi Jerry and welcome aboard. Thanks for feeding back. Please make sure you feedback as and when you can and the favour will be returned plentifold (even if that's not a real word).

The camcorder is a Panasonic NV-GS400. These haven't been made for a few years but were pretty much the pinnacle of "prosumer" standard DV cameras, having the benefit of frequently used manual controls that you can get at by BUTTONs and a focus/multi-function ring rather than via fiddly menus & touchscreens or joysticks. Buttons positively encourage you to familiarise yourself with manual settings which can only make you a better cameraman.

Even the Panasonic which replaced it was a step down in terms of ease of use in manual mode.

Because of their great reputation, even though they're "only" standard def, they command a good price second hand. They still go for around 400 on eBay - around a third of their final price which is phenominal for a camera using out of date format - MiniDV tape. That's how I got mine and I've never looked back.

The "problem" is that many parts are no longer available for them (the firewire port being a common problem) and thus repairs cannot be effected.

Editing was done in Sony Vegas Pro 9 although everything I did COULD have been done in Vegas Movie Studio. The end section only used four video tracks - the maximum available in VMS. I did liven up the colours a bit using colour curves, but actually the colours at the pottery painting place were really vibrant straight off the tape. I must check out what lights Hannah has in the shop. Even "Cyril's" voice was done simply in Vegas (pitch change and speed change)

Music was courtesy of Smartsound. Nothing fancy just simple cuts from the "Narration Backdrops" and "Richard Band - Family" collections.
    Tim

It's great Tim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast