Thread: Cameraman & Editor Needed

Thanks

Default Cameraman & Editor Needed

Hello all, I am starting a business in the near future, however need content sooner rather than later so the business can get going asap.

I was planning to buy a professional camcorder, mac, and final cut pro. In time I will do this, but at the moment I really need to get some content together rather than get bogged down with trying to learn the basics of filming and editing, which through research I have established would probably take me years to get anywhere near to the proffesional standard that I require.

Hence I am looking for a cameraman (with own professional camcorder) and an editor (with own editing facilities). Due to the nature of the work, ideally I am looking for a graduate from a TV/Production/Filming/editing degree who is looking to work for free in order to gain experience and boost their filming/editing portfolio.

Due to a limited budget, I will of course first utilise people who are willing to work in this way. If I cannot find suitable candidates for both positions I will revert to paying a low fee so I can get the content I need.

You will need to be based in London, preferably the more central the better. For my first project I will require the cameraman for roughly 2 hours work on a single weekend day one weekend around the start of November (I am very flexible with dates and times), and naturally the editor will need to work the time required to edit this into a single 30 minute programme (excuse my lack of knowledge but I do not know how long this takes, and im sure we probably wont have no where near 2 hours content to edit).

So 2 options:

1. If you are experienced and would like to work for free to boost your portfolio as either a cameraman or editor, please contact me.

2. If you are not prepared to work for free, please send me a quote to do the work I need. I do not wish to offend anyone, and I respect the rates professionals work at. Therefore with the fact I have a no/low budget in mind, please consider this if you are sending me a quote for the work.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi Kevin, a clear and concise post, so we all know where we stand.

Could you please give us some idea of the genre? What is it you're trying to produce?

My personal opinion is that nobody should work professionally for nothing. To quote an oft used saying "Any fool can work for nothing, and many a fool does." So apart from "working for free in order to gain experience and boost their filming/editing portfolio" what are you offering which makes it worth slaving for you, rather than on a TV production?

Thanks

This has been double posted...

Lets get this straight have no business yet or experience but want some one to work for free for your business to help promote and it and then make you way up in the world on some one else's shoulders.

Mmm, I think I will start a plumbing business, of which I know nothing about (well ok a little) and get other people to do the work, I get the reputation and the eventually a fully fledged plumbing business and I may then take on the staff and pay them.. right I am off to try that...

or have I missed something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.OConnor View Post

So 2 options:

1. If you are experienced and would like to work for free to boost your portfolio as either a cameraman or editor, please contact me.

2. If you are not prepared to work for free, please send me a quote to do the work I need. I do not wish to offend anyone, and I respect the rates professionals work at. Therefore with the fact I have a no/low budget in mind, please consider this if you are sending me a quote for the work.
    Okay. Seems to be a lot of confusion on this post. Let me clarify a few things. Firstly what I meant to say on the above (Option 1) is 'If you are a recent graduate and would like to work for free'

Gaffer - In no part of my previous message did I say anyone HAD to work for me? Also, do not ever remember asking anyone to SLAVE for me - so I dont know where you got that from? I also dont need to justify asking anyone to work for me, and at no point have I said it is better to work with me than a TV production company????????

Z Cheema - I am a business man, I am not a cameraman/tv editor/from a film background. To make one part of my business a success - I need content.

To clear up - I have clearly stated that really I am after a graduate who wants to boost their own portfolio. I have also asked any professional to clearly submit me a quote for what I have asked for.

Therefore, what you should have done if you are not a graduate (and not prepared to work for free) is send me a quote for the service I have asked for. Instead you have created a wasteless debate justifiying why a proffesional should not work for free. I presume you are both extremely busy professionals which is why you have not sent a quote.

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Both responses are a 'community' response. Both posters are helping to ensure our members are fully remunerated for their work - or stress why someone would ask for free services. I feel it a worthy debate and something that should be stressed whenever there is a call for free work.

I do many things for free for friends, family or simply people I want to help. As do posters here. We're not suggesting that people shouldn't give their time for free, but when the reward is the 'opportunity' for a portfolio and it's a business concern, it can seem an unequitable distribution of income.

Thanks

You can get in contact with us and see what we can offer:

DIDA MEDIA - Bespoke and Affordable Video Productions
    www.didamedia.com

Bespoke and Affordable Video Productions in London -

| Corporate Video | Commercial | PR Events | Live Recording | Motion Graphics | Music Video | TV Productions

Thanks

Hello Kevin, I may be able to help. I run an outfit called Assassin Media and cater for small/low budget.
    If you are still seeking some video production then send me a message with details of content and timespan etc... and we'll get back to you with the best price we can.
    Regards
    Greg Ullah