Thread: Model steam railway quickie

Blog Entries

Default Model steam railway quickie

Intended as a bit of a test of my new(ish) Canon HF11 and AVCHD but mainly just a bit of fun. Shot at the Porthleven Lifeboat day with my missus tapping her foot in the background wondering why I was filming a model railway. Edited in HDV and spat out as an MPEG-4 for uploading to youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eptNwx3Lg4I]YouTube - Steam Trains[/ame]

Nicely put together. How did you get the small depth of field in some of the shots?

Blog Entries

It's just because it was so close to the models.
    It was the first time I'd used the camera so there was nothing spectacular or experiemental on that day. If I wanted to be hyper-critical, when you see it in HD on a monitor you can see how it loses focus when you're up close and on anything other than a wide-angle. The macro only works when the zoom is on the widest setting.
    I also notice that in the original footage there was some detail in the highlights but upon converting to SD the highlight and deep shadow detail all gets lost.

The auto-exposure worked quite well too. A couple of times it reacted when I didn't want it to but I've since worked out how to stop that happening. However, on a day out it's often nice to point and shoot without buggering about with settings and menus.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-20-2009 at 04:03 PM.

I think the picture quality is great, especially as it has gone through a number of processes to get it onto youtube. Was that filmed on the camera's highest quality setting? and out of interest what did you use to convert it to HDV?

Blog Entries

It was recorded on the highest AVCHD setting. I imported it into Final Cut Express (on my laptop) using "Log and Transfer" and then exported each clip to an Apple Intermediate clip using the HDV preset (1440 x 1080 interlaced). I'm not a great fan of progressive video at 25fps, especially with fast-moving objects, and kept the whole thing as 50i (interlaced), including the final MPEG-4 for upload to youtube.

I can edit AVCHD directly in FCE but have to preview each clip on the timeline. By having it as an HDV clip I can bugger about with it to my heart's content and add transitions without waiting for any rendering.

groovin with mr.bloe eh

not a track you would immediately associate with train spotting but it works surprisingly well

nice little vid... great picture quality.

Now that took me back a bit further than Thomas the Tank Engine! Nicely put together.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    groovin with mr.bloe eh

not a track you would immediately associate with train spotting but it works surprisingly well
    I thought it was just a subtle pun. Steam blows, dunnit?
    Video worked for me because you showed plenty of people (especially kids) looking interested.
    Tim