Thread: Interlacing problem (I think)

Default Interlacing problem (I think)

Hi,

First off, sorry if this has already been answered. I've read so many posts and articles on interlacing it's clearly something other people have solved, but I just can't seem to get my head around it!

I have a Sony HDR-SR5 which records in 1440x1080i AVCHD. This plays back very nicely on my computer monitor using Sony's bundled software. Having reocrded some footage I now want to edit it. I've tried several including AVS, PowerDirector, Premiere Elements and Vegas. These are all great editors.

I would like to burn the video I'm editing to Blue Ray for play back on HD devices (When I finally get one!). I'd also like to burn it to standard DVD for playback on regular DVD players and on PC. I'd also like to be able to view the files on PC without having burnt them to DVD. However, no matter which option I choose when it comes to exporting, the output produced by PD, PE and Vegas, when played back on my PC, all have the interlace 'combing' problem (The jagged / fuzzy lines along the edge where there is motion).

The AVS software has an option to export as 1080p which does not have the combing effect. However, I can't believe that Cyberlink's, Premiere's and Sony's editors cannot export footage that is viewable on a computer, so am certain I've missed something.

If anyone out that can offer some advice on this, I'd be very, very, thankful (And it might just stop my head exploding!).

Thanks very much for reading,
    Simon

Blog Entries

Exporting for playback on a PC gives you must greater flexibility than creating a DVD or Blu Ray. Essentially you are free to use any codec (the method of compressing the video so that it doesn't take up so much space), at any birate and any frame size. One of the options you also have is to 'de-interlace' your interlaced footage (I'm sure you've figured out that the i in 1080i stands for interlaced), which is essentially what happend when you exported to 1080p (progressive).

One of the most accessible codecs for Windows based PCs is WMV. Almost all editors will allow you to export using WMV in a range of presets. An option within this will be to de-interlace or create a progressive output. So I recommend you export as WMV, and de-interlace. Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhodge View Post
    Hi,

First off, sorry if this has already been answered. I've read so many posts and articles on interlacing it's clearly something other people have solved, but I just can't seem to get my head around it!

I have a Sony HDR-SR5 which records in 1440x1080i AVCHD. This plays back very nicely on my computer monitor using Sony's bundled software. Having reocrded some footage I now want to edit it. I've tried several including AVS, PowerDirector, Premiere Elements and Vegas. These are all great editors.

I would like to burn the video I'm editing to Blue Ray for play back on HD devices (When I finally get one!). I'd also like to burn it to standard DVD for playback on regular DVD players and on PC. I'd also like to be able to view the files on PC without having burnt them to DVD. However, no matter which option I choose when it comes to exporting, the output produced by PD, PE and Vegas, when played back on my PC, all have the interlace 'combing' problem (The jagged / fuzzy lines along the edge where there is motion).

The AVS software has an option to export as 1080p which does not have the combing effect. However, I can't believe that Cyberlink's, Premiere's and Sony's editors cannot export footage that is viewable on a computer, so am certain I've missed something.

If anyone out that can offer some advice on this, I'd be very, very, thankful (And it might just stop my head exploding!).

Thanks very much for reading,
    Simon
    If the problem is only occurring when you play back edited videos on you computer and not on a TV then you have not got a problem with your edits it's just media player that needs some tweaking, depending on what codec packs you have installed, you need to be able to swich on de-interlacing, I use a codec pack called Combined Community Codec Pack, not that I would advise changing codec packs if you have no other problems but it comes with a freeware player called Zoom Player, that can be set up to de-interlace and gives good results as well as improving the playback of windows media player
    Bryan

Default Hurrah!

Marc,
    Thanks very much for your advice. I was exporting for PC, but had only looked at the MPEG options. I've tried some AVI / Windows options and sure enough wmv does not have the de-interlacing problem. It did, however, squish the aspect ration, but I'm sure there will be an option to change that somewhere.

Bryan,
    You have hit the nail squarly on the head! I have been using VLC and found that there is indeed a menu to select your prefered de-interlacing method and that it was turned off. At soon as I turned it on, voila! So, you were absolutely right - not an editing problem but a playback one.

Thanks both of you for your help,
    Simon

Hello!
    I am having a similar problem:
    I bought a Sony HDR-CX115E that records in AVCHD and transferred the videos to my MAC with iMovie. I created the final video file (without looking at the advanced settings) and it plays just fine on my laptop. I then used iDVD to put the video file (.mov) on a dvd, it did the converting and authoring in automatic. The movie is 1h18m long. I then played the DVD on my PS3 and the quality is ok except for the jagged edges on moving outlines.

Mac playback --> GOOD
    DVD Playback --> Jagged edges (not mousteeth like other cases).

Thank you for your help!

Blog Entries

That sounds more like a compression problem. Whichever compressor you have selected is having problems with the moving portions of the video.

i have a similar issue. the footage is captured in mts format, i edit it using premiere pro cs6 and when i export the media, it plays back flawless both on the pc and on the tv.
    The catch:
    If i play the video on the tv through the HDMI output of the pc, it looks wonderful.
    If i play the video on the tv via blu-ray player, the same video looks awful. Jagged edges. The SAME video.
    It got to a point where the SD material looks way better than it's HD counterpart.

Now, my question is this: i user adobe encore to burn the files to disc, as i use after effects motion templates and i always make shure that what goes in encore has "do not transcode" option. so that means mpeg2. high constant bitrate (18MBs).
    As a reference, I have two videos here maxfilm Studio
    Any ideeas?

Is your video interlaced or progressive, it's just a thought, but could it be the video is interlaced and the blue-ray has to do a conversion to progressive, if so could you do a test and make a progressive video and see how it plays, or does encore do the conversion to progressive,

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Is your video interlaced or progressive, it's just a thought, but could it be the video is interlaced and the blue-ray has to do a conversion to progressive, if so could you do a test and make a progressive video and see how it plays, or does encore do the conversion to progressive,
    but interlaced shouldn't rage havoc on my retina when played on pc?
    anyway, i'll give it a try and tell you how it went. thanks

It's a long time since I used Premiere but it was good at checking field order, it's just that I have had problems with programs encoding to the wrong field order, especially when I've been in a hurry.